40% O2 mix at the safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Team diving is different, I understand that. We're talking about a dive charter here with divers of varying experience. Some people believe whatever they're told without thinking about it. We see that all the time. We've seen it on this thread alone.

Those 'Bozo' issues cause inexperienced divers to have problems quite regularly. Things that seems mundane to the frequent diver might not be easily dealt with by a once a year vacationer.

Thalassamania, while we have differing philosophies on diving protocol, both of our systems work. We dive with people who think the same way. Unfortunately, that is not universal.

The issues I mentioned are something that people need to know in order to determine what acceptable 'risk' is to them. Without knowing all sides, we are making less than ideal choices.

Maybe next time I'll start out by stating that I am not a tech diver...Bismark and others, you are correct-there is a lot of info but I have a question/observation...several arguments revolve around the divers skill (or lack of). The few dive shops I have talked about regarding a NITROX course are all very proud of the fact that no diving is required in order to get certified for this. "In and out in just a couple of hours" they tell me. So how do they know rather I have normal skills, great skills or just suck?

And on a side note-why even come in at all? Not putting any course down but if it is just that simple then give me the book and charge me to come in and take the test.

I actually don't wish to do it that way-I have been searching for someone in the area who has a good course but can't find anyone. (well, I find people but...)

I am not giving you a hard time for asking the questions, as that is where everyone starts. I take issue with the short form of "teaching" that comes up on places like SB or anywhere else on the internet. Everyone throws in their 2cents and you as a new diver have no way of seperating the wheat from the chaff. For a start, you are best off to start with a nitrox class from any common agency. PADI, ACUC, CMAS, SDI/TDI, IANTD, PDIC, SSI, whatever (probably missed someone). Take it from an instructor with some experience that can answer the questions. Stay away from the "90 day wonders" who will simply parrot back to you what they were taught with no comprehension of what they are teaching. Diving nitrox recreationally is not rocket science but you need to be educated with the fundamentals of the use of higher pp02 mixes. It doesn't need to take a week of intensive study but it does not to be done within an organized framework that teaches you the "why" as well as the "what".

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you some solid documents to get you on the right track. I don't know how to attach things to PM's on SB......just figured out how to work my iphone..........

Team diving is different ... The issues I mentioned are something that people need to know in order to determine what acceptable 'risk' is to them. Without knowing all sides, we are making less than ideal choices.
We are in complete agreement.

I cannot believe these two snippets came from the same post.
Why not? I do not do challenging dives with non-professionals (and I don't mean recreational posers). GI3 put it a bit differently, but he had that right, if you can't trust them with your life ... don't dive with them.

I do not know your SOP, but all our gas is checked by the brewer and two other competent people, and signed off in the log.

Last edited:
I was under the understanding that medical 02 bottles had a different regulator/first stage connection and most dive shops did not have this fitting.??

You can get pin to DIN and the opposite adaptors easily for first stage.
We use one as our "medical" oxygen kit are just 2 x standard 7l steel diving tanks with 100%. The adaptor then converts them to 3 pin fitting for the oxygen admin first and second stages.

You can get pin to DIN and the opposite adaptors easily for first stage.
We use one as our "medical" oxygen kit are just 2 x standard 7l steel diving tanks with 100%. The adaptor then converts them to 3 pin fitting for the oxygen admin first and second stages.

Interesting, I am going to have to do some more checking around here. Someone showed up with medical 02 bottle (hope they didn't swipe it from an ambulance....:wink:) the other day and we thought we won the lottery...

Interesting, I am going to have to do some more checking around here. Someone showed up with medical 02 bottle (hope they didn't swipe it from an ambulance....:wink:) the other day and we thought we won the lottery...

As an example:
http://www.subaqua-products.co.uk/Catalogue/

Oxygen Decanting & Charging Adaptors and its in there.

Sure you can get them in the USA as well.

Unless I grossely misunderstand the task here, I think we are deciding at what depth and what mix one would need to change a regulator/mix to be safe, then actually performing the task requires very little special training.

but making a safe and proper gas switch isn't just a matter of spitting out one reg and sticking the other in your mouth. there are verification steps to ensure its the right bottle, that you are above the mod, that it is turned on and has pressure, that the 2nd stage is the correct 2nd stage, that your team mates have made the switch correctly also, and correcting their/your mistakes if necessary.

all this while maintaining buoyancy w/in a foot or so.

um, risk vs. reward calculations don't pan out for me on a recreation dive.

Back
Top Bottom