40% O2 mix at the safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) I don't have a title of the book with me and didn't mention the agency on purpose so this didn't degrade to a this agency is better than that discussion.

2) Apparently I need to use more smileys as there is no condition I am aware of where you can acutally "pop like a bubble". There ar elots of people who write things like if you do x, y, or z, you will surely die, cease to exist, or "pop like a bubble" as I used it. :0 :) :wink:

3) Yes.

If you don't like my organization, just read over the two page article I posted. That pretty much sums up nitrox training and perhaps does it in a format that is better organized.

IMHO, nitrox should really be included in basic open water training. It isn't that complicated and no more difficult to understand than regular dive tables and DCS. Perpetuating this cloak that it is somehow special just serves to make the training orgs more money by making it a seperate card with a seperate fee.

Okay, I want to throttle things back a bit here. I think it is fair to say that the comment "pop like a bubble" when used in a diving context is assumed to have something to do with DCS, nitrogen "bubbling" etc. Therefore, when you used it in the context of 02 toxicity, I hope you can understand my confusion.

At this point in time, I find it surprising that any agency would advocate 1.6 pp02 as being okay for "cold and strenuous dives". You might want to re-read that part to make sure you have it right. I for one will not turn this in to a agency bashing thread, but you might want to re-check this. I have training from many different agencies and at the risk of calling myself a hypocrite I won't get in to agency bashing:wink:

Some agencies are including nitrox in their recreational diving program. GUE for example. I personally think this is a good idea as long as it is taught within a framework of understanding and not a "trust me because I said so" framework.

I like to believe that the average diver is capable of doing a lot more thinking than most agencies give credit to them for. However, in order to make logical, thoughtful decisions, they need to have the correct information presented to make those decisions. See my "garbage in-garbage out" comment earlier.

Sorry if I was being overly harsh earlier, but I have some passionate views on the subject of diver education.

Hey,
Remember me? :D Anyway, I have to say, I am not a rocket scientist but I do have a minor in math and I don’t think even that is needed to understand the topic at hand. Good article and thanks for the info hypertech. Bismark (didn’t the Brits put you under in the 40’s?) I sent you a PM with my email so whenever you get a chance you can zip me over what info you have. I appreciate the help.
I recall hearing from a real old timer that back in the day you didn’t need no stink’n card. You just did mail-order, read the enclosed instruction book/ owner’s manual and walked out into the ocean. (Of course, I suppose some never walked back to shore so…)
Anyway, I promise that before I do NITROX again I will re-take the class. Anyone know of a good IANTD instructor?

At this point in time, I find it surprising that any agency would advocate 1.6 pp02 as being okay for "cold and strenuous dives". You might want to re-read that part to make sure you have it right.

"My nitrox book recommends 1.6 and 1.4 for cold or streneous dives"

s/b "My nitrox book recommends [a general maximum PO2 of] 1.6[,] and 1.4 for cold or streneous [sic] dives"

s/b "My nitrox book recommends [a general maximum PO2 of] 1.6[,] and 1.4 for cold or streneous [sic] dives"

Did I read the post wrong? is there supposed to be a comma so that I should read it as a general maximum of 1.6, and 1.4 for cold or strenuous dives? Kind of like the a panda bear "eats shoots and leaves" kind of thing? If so, then that does kind of change things...........

Yep. I don't think I wrote 1.6 for cold and strenuous dives - if I did that was an error. Typing on an iphone can be a pain sometimes - love it though.

It says 1.6 as a general maximum and to use the more conservative 1.4 for cold or strenuous dives as Blackwood corrected for me.

Thanks for the tip on the bubble thing - I hadn't considered that interpretation and will reserve my use of that phrase to DCS discussions so as to prevent future confusion.

Since he listed two numbers, that's my suspicion.

Hey,
Remember me? :D Anyway, I have to say, I am not a rocket scientist but I do have a minor in math and I don’t think even that is needed to understand the topic at hand. Good article and thanks for the info hypertech. Bismark (didn’t the Brits put you under in the 40’s?) I sent you a PM with my email so whenever you get a chance you can zip me over what info you have. I appreciate the help.
I recall hearing from a real old timer that back in the day you didn’t need no stink’n card. You just did mail-order, read the enclosed instruction book/ owner’s manual and walked out into the ocean. (Of course, I suppose some never walked back to shore so…)
Anyway, I promise that before I do NITROX again I will re-take the class. Anyone know of a good IANTD instructor?

Bismark was my german shepherd's name, and I named him after the donut, not the battleship......:D:D I am still going to send you the info, and no you don't need even a minor in math....grade 9 should about do it. I have heard some very interesting stories from people who learned to dive "way back when". I learned in '82 when things were pretty much already organized. We did spend a lot of time on sharks though I recall.......tremendously interesting but not entirely relevant for my open water lake dives in South Western Alberta..........Still have trouble watching reruns of Jaws............

Yep. I don't think I wrote 1.6 for cold and strenuous dives - if I did that was an error. Typing on an iphone can be a pain sometimes - love it though.

It says 1.6 as a general maximum and to use the more conservative 1.4 for cold or strenuous dives as Blackwood corrected for me.

Thanks for the tip on the bubble thing - I hadn't considered that interpretation and will reserve my use of that phrase to DCS discussions so as to prevent future confusion.
I love my iphone but I wish the letters were a little bigger for my decidecly ham fisted approach to typing.......

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the comma was omitted, which changed the sense of the statement.

Punctuate so it makes sense: TIME FLIES YOU CAN'T THEY ARE TOO FAST.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom