>40% EANx regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

transfill whip, do one tank at a time and transfill over, no empty tanks, no need for compressor

PSI is hardly a generic sticker, I'd trust a PSI sticker over most of the shop specific sticker if I was unfamiliar with the shop. At least you know with the PSI sticker that they took the course and were current at least somewhat recently if they have stickers since you have to be current to buy them...

I must be missing something here. If you have one full and one empty AL 80 and use a transfill hose then the pressure of both banks will equalize to 1500 psi. If you refill the tank and try it again both tanks will equalize to 2250 psi. Do it a third time and the tanks will equalize to 2625 psi. So unless you find a shop willing to grossly overfill your tanks, fill a bank bottle, or want to run back to the dive shop multiple times this will not work.

The real issue is not what you trust but what the dive shop trusts. Also you need to be sure the work was done and a new sticker was not just slapped on.

so you take a PSI vip course, have PSI vip stickers.

You drain and vip one tank with the other being full. Transfill from one to the other at 1500psi. Vip the second one and transfill that, both at 750 with fresh vip stickers. Take to dive shop for fills and no worries about them filling empty tanks

I was recently given Regulator Savvy but admit I don't follow directions well. Would prefer a mentor. Even beyond servicing, I would love to better understand function and feel capable of doing minor repairs and adjustments.

Regulator savvy is a good book but mostly focuses on concepts of regulator design and construction, and is not a very good step-by-step manual. A better book for getting started in DIY would be the Vance Harlow book on regulator repair. Still, it does help to have someone in your area that can help you get started. Most importantly you have to want to do it, and you have to enjoy working mechanically.

better yet would be the actual manuals for her regulators on frogkick :)

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/scubapro/
Scubapro manuals, schematics, and engineering bulletins. Including troubleshooting guides

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/aqualung/
Aqualung manuals for Calypso and Mikra, though not the Mikron, but same basic principles should apply. Most second stages and similar technology first stages are about the same

Scubapro manuals, schematics, and engineering bulletins. Including troubleshooting guides

Aqualung manuals for Calypso and Mikra, though not the Mikron, but same basic principles should apply. Most second stages and similar technology first stages are about the same

While those manuals are useful to an experienced regulator tech, the Vance Harlow book is much better for someone who currently knows little or nothing about how to work on regulators. It explains all sorts of basic information about tools, general procedures, and about how regulators work. It's actually one of the better DIY books I've read on any subject.

Regulator savvy is a good book but mostly focuses on concepts of regulator design and construction, and is not a very good step-by-step manual. A better book for getting started in DIY would be the Vance Harlow book on regulator repair. Still, it does help to have someone in your area that can help you get started. Most importantly you have to want to do it, and you have to enjoy working mechanically.
Ok. You guys have got me interested but I agree that a mentor would be ideal. For now, get through Regulator Savvy.Then take a look at Harlow.

Thanks. Will take a look at these too.

While those manuals are useful to an experienced regulator tech, the Vance Harlow book is much better for someone who currently knows little or nothing about how to work on regulators. It explains all sorts of basic information about tools, general procedures, and about how regulators work. It's actually one of the better DIY books I've read on any subject.
Even if I never take the plunge and service the regs myself, learning more about my gear is always a good thing.

If I remember right, she's in the part of the state that you, as a member of the Wolfpack, would consider "heathen and godless." :wink:
Yep. That's me. :D Although I live in more neutral territory now.

Interesting the the twists and turns a thread can take.

Last edited:
where's neutral? Last I checked the only neutral territory was Charlotte and the mountains?
Well. I did say more neutral, compared to Chapel Hill. :D I live midway between Asheboro and Greensboro.

BTW. As a "youth" I was a closet State fan. I still have my T-shirt from the 1983 NCAA Championship. But then I grew up and changed my evil ways :wink:

so you take a PSI vip course, have PSI vip stickers.

You drain and vip one tank with the other being full. Transfill from one to the other at 1500psi. Vip the second one and transfill that, both at 750 with fresh vip stickers. Take to dive shop for fills and no worries about them filling empty tanks

Why would a dive shop be worried about filling an empty tank? It would seem they would explode when the cylinder contains more pressure. Regulator repair is more cost/time efficient than viping cylinders. I would rather pay the money and support the LDS. Granted I only have 5 tanks, if I had 20 I might feel differently.

it was brought up. Some shops are strange about filling empty tanks because they could have been emptied underwater and taken water in. I've seen shops reject vips for stranger reasons....

Agreed on the cost/time for regs vs vip. I have quite a few more than 5 tanks though.... Last count was 12 after ditching about 10 of them before I moved to Maine.... Still need at least 4 more before I'm happy with where it is. What we have done is one guy maintains a VIP cert that we pitch in for, and same with the tumbler. Spend a weekend tumbling/o2 cleaning everything after hydro cycles, and good to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom