4/17/05 Dive Report for Lake Rawlings, VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pairizarry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I arrived to Lake Rawlings, VA (southwest of Petersburg) at about 10:30 am, after 160 miles (almost 2 ½ hr drive) from Northern VA. I was there for a cookout and diving with the NC Wreck Divers from Scubaboard.com. This was my 2nd dive with them at Lake Rawlings. We had a total of 9 divers. When I arrived the 1st group was in the water, while my group got ready. We got in at about 11:30 am and did a surface swim near the bus and descended there. We had fun doing “wreck penetrations” on the bus. The temp around the bus was around 55 at about 30 ft. The vis was probably around 15-20 ft.
Dive stats for dive #1: 54ft, 46 min, 49 degrees.

After a 2 ½ hr SI, where we ate and talked we were ready for some more diving. At about 3pm, we did a surface swim to the surface marker of the boat with the wheelhouse and descended. One of the guys in our group was disappointed in the boat because it was as small as the other ones. It would be nice for them to put 100-200 ft boat in these quarries. The vis was about 5-10 ft now. Lake Rawlings has yellow line/rope that connect each wreck, so even in low vis you can find your way around.
Dive stats for dive #2: 57ft, 31 min, 49 degrees (Fill was 450 psi less than 1st dive)

My next scheduled dives are with Lynnhaven Dive Center, VA Beach, VA on Sunday 5/22 (Super Dive Weekend) where I will be diving the JP Morgan wreck. If I get 2 dives in, I will be able to move my logged dives to 51-100.

If you want to see more threads and full reports on this trip go to www.wreckmaniac.com,the official homepage of the NC Wreck Divers.

If you haven't dived with the NC Wreck Divers you should. Look for their next trip and join in on the fun. They are a great bunch of people and divers. They take in strays from Virginia and other states.

Pedro

Glad to hear you had a good time down there. I was at Millbrook on Sunday finishing my rescue class. The water temps weren't bad compared to when we were there last month - 57 at the top and 47 at the bottom.

Jackie

Congrats on your Rescue Diver cert. Try to come down to Lake Rawlings on the next trip.

Pedro

Hoyden:
Glad to hear you had a good time down there. I was at Millbrook on Sunday finishing my rescue class. The water temps weren't bad compared to when we were there last month - 57 at the top and 47 at the bottom.

Jackie

What kind of suit were you in for the class?

Kriterian:
What kind of suit were you in for the class?
3mm core warmer, 5/3 hooded vest and a 7/5mm - I would have probably been fine without the core warmer, but I was really cold last month and didn't want to repeat the experience.

Jackie

NC Wreck Divers,

I posted the pics from Lake Rawlings on Scubaboard, just click on my gallery. If you want any copies just PM me with your email address.

I tried loading them on Wreck Maniac but the server told me I was over my size limits.

Pedro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom