3mm or 5mm - which is more versatile fullsuit?

What size fullsuit(s) do you own?

• I own a 3mm Fullsuit

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I own a 5mm Fullsuit

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I own both

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is a very subjective question, so I'd like to get people's opinion based on their own experiences. I no longer wish to ever rent a wetsuit again when I travel. I currently own a 7mm fullsuit, and now want to get something a little thinner for more tropical destinations. This could range from Hawaii to Belize, with water temps ranging from mid 70's to mid 80's. Which is the better choice? A 3mm could be a little cool in some locations. A 5mm could be a little too warm. I also think that maybe getting a 5mm when I already own a 7mm might be silly. Whatcha all think? I am leaning towards the 3mm, but if I am going to always have to add layers to be warm enough, then I'll wish I had gotten the 5mm.

So, ultimately the question here is, which size do more people have, 3mm or 5mm?

I am pretty happy using a 3/2 down to 70 since I am used to diving cool water (low 50's) in a 7mm full suit. I would use a hood or hooded vest if you ever need to bridge the gap. The flexibilty and low bouyancy of the 3mm is really nice.

I have a 5mil SP full, but really wish it was 3mil
I went diving today in low 70's temp and used a 3/2 shorty. If I was going tropical, I definantly would say 3 or less. But, everyone has different temp tolerances.

I use my 5 mm more than my 3 mm dive around Australia and Queensland.

For me it would be the 3mm, but remember that fit is far more important than thickness. A 3mm properly fitting suit will keep you warm in really quite cool water, whereas any thickness suit is next to useless if water is allowed to swill in and out.

If you have a 7 mil. get a 3 mil. There are very few conditions were it would be to cold for one but to warm for the other. In fact, I can't think of any.

Try this: for a total of $140 US you can get a pair of skins($35), a chicken 2mm vest($30), and a 3/2 full wetsuit with a 3/2 shortie(both for $75).....with those you are good from ~70 degrees up...below is a link for the full & shortie 3/2 wetsuits for a total of $75....

Great deal on SEA ELITE EQUATOR 3/2 MENS JUMP AND SHORTY from Divers-Supply.com

Example: Yesterday I did an hour and a half dive in 74 degree water with a 2mm chicken hood, 3 mm full wetsuit, and a pair of skins..........also had a 1 mm pair of gloves on($20 US)......
For the Caribbean(78 degree water up) use the 3/2 shortie over skins , & add chicken hooded vest as needed...Layering up is fun & inexpensive........

BTW, Divers Supply has the skins for $35 and Divers Direct has an EVO 2 mm chicken hooded vest for $30........good luck........

If you have a 7 mil. get a 3 mil.

I agree with dpbishop get a 3mm. I used my 7mm in 76f water recently and was quite comfortable. I'd imagine the 3mm would be fine up to 85f.

I agree with dpbishop get a 3mm. I used my 7mm in 76f water recently and was quite comfortable. I'd imagine the 3mm would be fine up to 85f.

Seriously, in over 82 you only need skins(for protection)....What would you want to wear anything else for??.....

Thanks for all the posts so far. Sounds like things are leaning towards a 3mm.

Quick reply to this post. Did a week of diving in Fiji with water temps around 84. About 4 dives a day. Was wearing an old 3 mm shorty that was more like a 1mm it was so old. About 4 days into it, I was starting to get cold. Part of the motivation behind this thread.

Seriously, in over 82 you only need skins(for protection)....What would you want to wear anything else for??.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom