3mm mens full wetsuit question for non fatties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johm77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
ok, i lied, I'm kinda fat. I'm actually trying to lose at least 10 lbs before my next dive

I'm 5'11ish, 185lbs, 32-34 waist (depending on the day) 32 inseam.

I've rented a few wetsuits (Scubapro 7mm, Body Glove 7mm), and I've tried on 2 at my LDS (Deep something, and Henderson hyperstrech).

All of the above fit well (although I hate putting on a 7mm, so thick).

All the suits were size Large.

The only one that didn't fit in a Large, was the Henderson hyperstretch. it was loose around the midsection. The store only had Large and medium, but the medium seemed a bit short one me. I've seen online that M-L are available.

so my questions for you are:

1) Why are henderson's midsections so big? shouldn't they be smaller or at least the same since they stretch?
2) Hendersons are already expensive. how much does it cost to get it altered?
3) Is the double price of a henderson hyperstretch worth it? It was easier to put on, and more comfortable, but I'm not sure how much I would notice once in the water.

Thanks in advance!

Good question (sorry I don't have an answer for you). I just got a Henderson Thermoprene Suit from Leisurepro (not as stretchy as hyperstrech...but more stretchy than usual). I got a size 10 because that is the size I wore during my AOW check out dives (rental). When I tried it on it was WAY to big in the mid section (and a few other places). I sent it back and got a size 8. It was delivered today...I hope this one fits!

johm77:
ok, i lied, I'm kinda fat. I'm actually trying to lose at least 10 lbs before my next dive

I'm 5'11ish, 185lbs, 32-34 waist (depending on the day) 32 inseam.

I've rented a few wetsuits (Scubapro 7mm, Body Glove 7mm), and I've tried on 2 at my LDS (Deep something, and Henderson hyperstrech).

All of the above fit well (although I hate putting on a 7mm, so thick).

All the suits were size Large.

The only one that didn't fit in a Large, was the Henderson hyperstretch. it was loose around the midsection. The store only had Large and medium, but the medium seemed a bit short one me. I've seen online that M-L are available.

so my questions for you are:

1) Why are henderson's midsections so big? shouldn't they be smaller or at least the same since they stretch?
2) Hendersons are already expensive. how much does it cost to get it altered?
3) Is the double price of a henderson hyperstretch worth it? It was easier to put on, and more comfortable, but I'm not sure how much I would notice once in the water.

Thanks in advance!

First, at the body statistics you mentioned, I don't think you are a size Large wetsuit in any brand with which I am familiar. You may be forced to purchase a Large in a standard neoprene to be able to get into the wetsuit without breaking a sweat, but you are likely more properly sized in a Medium Large or a Medium.

The Henderson Hyperstretch size Medium should be a perfect fit for you. One of my instructors is your same weight and waist size, but is about 2 inches taller. He wears a SMALL hyperstretch! He really likes them tight fitting. After all, a tight fit is the only way to stay warm in a wetsuit.

There are many complaints about the Henderson Hyperstretch. Many of the complaints are real (they wear out faster, they compress more at depth) and some of them are imaginary. With all of its problems, the Hyperstretch jumpsuit is the number one selling wetsuit, as reported by Leisure Trends, month after month after month. So, someone out there must really be loving them. As to the price, they are expensive; but so are many other suits even without the fit and ease of donning of the Hyperstretch. Only you can determine if the price matches the features for YOUR needs.

FREE $10 Gift Card Just For the Asking!

Thanks.

Phil Ellis

First, at the body statistics you mentioned, I don't think you are a size Large wetsuit in any brand with which I am familiar. You may be forced to purchase a Large in a standard neoprene to be able to get into the wetsuit without breaking a sweat, but you are likely more properly sized in a Medium Large or a Medium.

The Henderson Hyperstretch size Medium should be a perfect fit for you. One of my instructors is your same weight and waist size, but is about 2 inches taller. He wears a SMALL hyperstretch! He really likes them tight fitting. After all, a tight fit is the only way to stay warm in a wetsuit.

There are many complaints about the Henderson Hyperstretch. Many of the complaints are real (they wear out faster, they compress more at depth) and some of them are imaginary. With all of its problems, the Hyperstretch jumpsuit is the number one selling wetsuit, as reported by Leisure Trends, month after month after month. So, someone out there must really be loving them. As to the price, they are expensive; but so are many other suits even without the fit and ease of donning of the Hyperstretch. Only you can determine if the price matches the features for YOUR needs.

FREE $10 Gift Card Just For the Asking!

Thanks.

Phil Ellis
lol, he is the exact same size as me (5'11' 185) and I wear a large, (very tight!!) I wouldnt even think about trying to squeeze into a medium or even a ML, I feel like i could even wear an XL possibly, hahaha, people are built so different its hard to tell without trying a suit on first... :D

Bare makes a nice M-L...i'm about 5'10", 195lbs and a 32 waist and it's a very good fit.

Cheers.

-J.-

lol, he is the exact same size as me (5'11' 185) and I wear a large, (very tight!!) I wouldnt even think about trying to squeeze into a medium or even a ML, I feel like i could even wear an XL possibly, hahaha, people are built so different its hard to tell without trying a suit on first... :D

very true. The only way to get a great fit is a custom wetsuit....and then stay the same weight.
I have a Scubapro 3 mm full suit and I'm in between large and x large. I got the x large and after 4 days of diving, it's a little baggy around the waist and thighs but still tight around my neck and shoulders...I had to cut the little trim band so I could breath.
I'm 6' 180 lbs.

Try on the Pinnacle Elastriprene 7, you will not have a problem getting it on or off and will have the 7mm for cold water dives.

Don't forget that you may wear a different size in a 7mm vs a 3mm. The 7mm doesn't flex as much, so most people need a size larger. I wear an XL 2mm shorty, an XL Henderson Gold Core 3mm full, but a 4X 7mm full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom