3mm Alternatives (layering)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart the black freedive instructor suit, I think we call it, is made only for swimming up and down a line. There are no knee pads or chest (speargun) loading pads. It is made from Yamamoto 45 rubber which is extremely stretchy. This is intended for one activity.

Our other freedive suits are camo, they have pads on knees and chest and they are made from Yamamoto 39 neoprene which is somewhat stronger and less elastic .

Both suits are made with the best materials available for their respective applications. Freedive hunters are expected to make contact with rocks etc. When working onlobsters and pulling fish from a hole , scrambling over rocks to get to the dive site etc.

We have many customers who are extremely happy using our camo freedive suits for scuba _ many of them are underwater hunters and gatherers. The 39 material is still extremely stretchy and comfortable.

Edit:

I should also mention that our 3 mm two piece freedive suit is probably comparable to a 5 mm scuba type suit with zippers that leak and a detached hood. The smooth rubber interior, elimination of zippers and attached hood all come together in a suit which will not allow water to flush through the suit - at all, unless the diver is too warm, in which case you can pull the chin of the hood open, swim a little and flush water down the neck and to your torso.

Thanks for asking Stuart.
Dano

Last edited:
Should have mentioned water temps. 26-28 celsius, which the internet tells me is about 78-82 Fahrenheit.

Brrrr....I would use a 3 mm, two piece if doing multiple dives, multiple days. Better too warm than not enough. You can always take off the hood.

I went to Bonaire last summer, doing 3-4 dives per day in 78-84 degree water for six days. The only suit that fit me at the time was my 5 mil. Thought I would be miserably hot. Not so and by the end of the trip I was very glad I had it. I had not realized that a week of intense diving is a whole different animal from two days of two dives per day in terms of getting cold. We are going back this year and I might take a 3 mil with a 3 mil hooded shorty to add for the last few days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom