3mm, 3.5mm, or 5/4mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some of you have tried to help me with this already and I appreciate that very much! I have made some purchases now, but I still have to decide on the main one.

I am going to Riviera Maya in December and plan to do some reef diving and a day of cenote diving.

Then, I am going to Hawaii in March and will do some diving there, but no idea what yet.

I have purchased a Lavacore Farmer John and socks. I had my first day of OW diving last weekend in a local quarry. Water temp was between 52 and 55. I was very comfortable with a 7mm suit over the Lavacore gear, plus wearing a hood with a skirt. I took off the hood for my final dive that day and was still pretty comfortable. The 7mm and hood were provided by the shop as part of my class.

I also bought an Oceanic 5/3mm hooded vest. It's 3mm body and 5mm hood. They are on sale for $30, so it seemed like a no-brainer to pick one up for myself.

I am trying to buy a full suit to have for use in Mexico in Dec and in Hawaii in March. I had pretty much decided on an Akona 3 or Cressi 3.5mm. The ones I'm looking at are in the $120 to 199 range.

I figure a 3 or 3.5 would be warm enough in the ocean and the Lavacore Farmer John with a 3/3.5 over it would be fine for the cenotes. And if I was still cold, I could add the hooded vest.

But, today I saw that my LDS is blowing out some ScubaPro EverFlex Steamer 5/4 suits and they have my size in stock. The price on one of those would be right in the middle of the range for the 3-3.5 mm suits I am looking at.

Being that 5/4 suits are usually more expensive than 3 or 3.5s, I'm tempted towards the 5/4 just based on price. I'm also tempted towards the 5/4 with the thought that I might be able to use it, along with all my LC gear plus the hooded vest, for future dives in the same quarry I was just in. I was so comfortable in a 7mm plus the LC and a non-vest hood, I thought I might be nearly as comfy in a 5/4 with the same LC gear plus the vest w/hood.

So, the real question is:

If I just go with the 5/4 am I going to regret it? Will I end up wishing I had a not-as-warm or less bulky suit when I go to Mexico or Hawaii?

Am I kidding myself that the 5/4 might be good in the quarry? So I should just forget about it, go with the easier to pack, easier to don/doff 3/3.5, and just plan to own a 3/3.5 and a 7mm (at some point)?

Or is it feasible that a 5/4 would be very nice for Mexico and Hawaii and it plus undergarments be warm enough for the quarry?

A 5/4 is a compromise that won't be good for either? Or a great idea that will cover all my bases?

Thanks for any thoughts on this (repeated subject)!

ever been to warm under water? I'd go for the 5/4 if it is about the same price and not a total pain in the rear to put on. In hawaii (or a cenote) it would never occur to me to use anything less.
I do not think it would be enough for me in the 50° range even with the hooded vest and LC. it is tough to say. Cold tolerance, body composition etc. differ significantly by individual.

Thanks, docmartin. That is definitely the way I'm starting to lean. I think I'm going to go by and try on the 5/4 tomorrow and see how I like it. I checked the water temp forecast for March in Hawaii (Honolulu) and it looks about the same as the cenote temps. Mid 70s. I may be warm enough in a 3 or 3.5. But I doubt I'll be too warm in a 5/4.

Like doc said, have you ever been too warm underwater? We take our 7mm's down for winter Caribbean trips. I took down a 2.5 thermocline suit to Turks in Dec/Jan (1st winter dive trip) I froze! And I used a rental 3mm over it. Burned air like mad. Next year was heaven in a seven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While being warm enough UW is the most important consideration, there are others - while you may not be too warm underwater, in a warm sunny place it's easy to be too warm above water. Thicker is bulkier to pack for travel. And one of the delights of tropical diving for many folks is simply being able to wear something lighter. (The most I ever wear in the tropics is 1mm, occasionally with a 3mm vest. This probably wouldn't be enough for Hawaii in March, but my solution to that would be to go to Hawaii in the summer. :wink: )

It's really difficult to say if the 5/4 would be a good or bad compromise for you. Hard to guess if it (plus all the other stuff) will be enough for you at home. If you don't get cold easily maybe, but if you don't get cold easily you may find the 5/4 much more than you need or want for most tropical diving. Then again, if you don't get cold easily, you may find just LC is enough for most tropical diving, assuming you will be doing more of that.

Since you're getting a good deal on the 5/4, and you already have a couple trips planned that are on the cool end of "tropical", I might go for it assuming the fit is right and worry about other needs later. Maybe this depends some on what you think your future dive plans are beyond these 2 trips and an occasional quarry dive.

I picked up a Bare velocity 5/4mm at my LDS when they were blowing them out at a third of the retail price, real bargain and absolutely love it.
I've dove with it in 16 degree (celsius) water and was fine but any colder than that and you'll want a jacket too.
I've also dove with it in 24 degree water and while I was warm I definitely wasn't uncomfortably warm.

Tapatalked

If you find yourself where it is hot above the water, just peel down the top, and/or wet the suit. During the summer when I suit up I shoot some water into the suit. Keeps me from heating up.

When I'm down there I wear a 5mm suit with a 5mm hooded vest in the caves, and just the 5mm suit in the ocean. I've never been too warm.

Y'all definitely have me convinced enough to at least go try the suit on at lunch time. If it fits as well as the 3 or 3.5 I tried, then I'll probably go with the 5/4.

7mm vs 5mm or 3mm isn't a whole lot of difference bulk or weight wise. At least in my case, my older 3mm Pinnacle is sure thick for a 3 but fits great so I'm keeping it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom