3G or 4G mobile internet options in Sharm, Dahab, Hurghada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irsubmarine

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any info on buying a mobile internet connection in Sharm, Dahab or Hurghada?

My work is all laptop based. My office is wherever there is an internet connection. I've travelled to (Dahab) Egypt before, but I made the fatal mistake of relying on the internet of the hotel I was staying in. The connection was flaky and not suitably reliable to do my work. I had to sit in a few restaurants in order to get connected properly. As much as I like chilling on comfortable couches on the edge of the sea working away while Nescafe steams from a cup on the table and the sweet smell of Shisha passes me by, its not optimal. I need to be able to connect from everywhere... Don't get me wrong, I realize its more relaxing to disconnect on a ~holiday... But my work allows me to travel and stick around for a while if I feel like it. So with a decent internet connection I might as well stay a month or longer.

I get the impression that many hotels rely on 3/4G mobile usb sticks (e.g. from Vodafone) which they share via WiFi. Would I be able to buy these myself(considering I have no fixed address in Egypt and that I'm not a resident). What are the internet options for those people that want a connection for themselves (good question for the expats maybe). I don't have any use for fixed connections (unless I rent an apartment perhaps).. I would prefer mobile.. so that I can migrate between Dahab, Sharm, Hurghada, etc. Something like 4G usb mobile connection or related would be epic.

Any insights, recommendations, pointers?

I just got back from Sharm. I had no problems buying a datasim for my phone. Price wasn't cheap.. but it wasnt bad either. about 200LE for the first 2GB. You got the choice to upgrade to 5GB more for elcheapo money. This was Vodafone.

yuo can get it from any vodafone, mobinil or etisalat store... the point though is that service quality will differ among 3 providers depending on where you are .. so at certain place yuo will find vodafone is great but at another spot you would hardly connect and so on...

anyway check in the hotel staff you are staying in what provider they use for hotel wifi and also their personal lines which provider is giving best signal quality in the area then get one.... use the chilling retaurants with shisha and nescafe but you will also have the option to use the usb stick ... enjoy !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom