3000psi on 1st stage, 3442 on steel tank. Is this gonna work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me but what is high pressure? It is normal for the diving industry to have at least 200 bars in a tank. Any thing less and I can't see how one can use the rule of thirds and dive safely. In UK and other commonwealth places (excluding Canada), 232 is the norm. So this isn't high pressure. Not to mention Sweden where most have 300 bar tanks. 300 bars are getting more popular. Divers are realizing that the more fuel the better one can plan for a decent dive. I'd rather surface with 80 bars left than 20 or less. Some argue about the weight of the tanks - well, ditch some weight.
Instruments sold for 232 are the same except the din fitting. US divers, Spiro, Technisub, Scubapro, Apex, Oceanic they all sell in these places using the same basic gear.
I have a preference to din for the following reasons
- Nicer to travel with (smaller than A clamp).
- Uses captured O ring.
- The tanks can be lifted from the pillar valves with the din on.
- Can take a bit of more pressure.

BUT if you dive in the USA make sure that you have an adapter so you wouldn't ruin the dive.

Lawrence D

By observation and what I've read, it seems that over 3000 psi (200 bar) is considered HP. So the 3442 PST tanks are a bit over that and seem to qualify. It's also interesting that yokes are not considered HP (as is true also with the 200 bar DIN).

Go figure how this seems to "match"?

I'm going to COZ-- will probably dive with Aldora--HP 120 tanks. I don't have a DIN first stage reg. They will provide DIN adapter; can I assume that the higher pressure will not damage my APEKs 100 recreational first stage?

scubabamatxn:
I'm going to COZ-- will probably dive with Aldora--HP 120 tanks. I don't have a DIN first stage reg. They will provide DIN adapter; can I assume that the higher pressure will not damage my APEKs 100 recreational first stage?

I hope you mean that you are replacing the yoke with a DIN fitting and not using one of those 300 bar filler adapters that screw into the tank din fitting and clamping your yoke to that. If you replace the yoke with a DIN your first stage is sufficient to handle the HP tank.

If the HP tank is equipped with a 300 bar valve they dont utilize the threaded yoke insert like the 232bar valves.

Thanks-- I am am planning on replacing the yoke (seems safer), but I actually was under the impression that Aldora uses the 'adapter'. Have you heard about this before? Thanks--

scubabamatxn:
Thanks-- I am am planning on replacing the yoke (seems safer), but I actually was under the impression that Aldora uses the 'adapter'. Have you heard about this before? Thanks--

If it is a true HP tank that utilizes a 300 bar valve they may provide a DIN fitting for your first stage. It would be worth checking out or even starting a seperate thread on the subject.

One nice thing about Apeks regs they are very easy to change between a yoke and DIN with a wrench(3/4 if i remember right) and allen wrench.

Excuse me but what is high pressure? It is normal for the diving industry to have at least 200 bars in a tank. Any thing less and I can't see how one can use the rule of thirds and dive safely. In UK and other commonwealth places (excluding Canada), 232 is the norm. So this isn't high pressure.

Well, this really goes to how old you are, and what you learned when.

For me, until just a few years ago, lower pressure steel tanks were 1800 psi, verses the 2250 (2475 with 10% overfill) steel tanks. Then we had 3000 psi come along in the 1970s. That was considered higher pressure for awhile. Now, it's 3500 to 4400 psi that is considered "high pressure," and 3000 psi is considered a "low pressure" steel tank.

I really do not like the term "low pressure" steel tanks, as to me "low pressure" talkes to the interstage pressure within the regulator.

Now, talking about interior regulator components that are "subjected" to high pressure (3500 psi), just exactly which are these? My understanding of the mechanics of regulators is that the HP seat would be subjected to the full tank pressure, the SPG guage line, and the valve O-ring. But which other components would have HP air from the tank?

For a piston regulator, all the other components would be subject to the LP interstage pressure, and not HP tank pressure. So I don't quite follow the need for "interior components" that must be changed.

Don't get me wrong; the yolk to DIN change would be very benificial. But this is not an interior part of the regulator.

I'm going to go look at my diagrams again, but I simply cannot visualize interior components which would be subjected to HP pressures except the HP seat itself. But I may be tired, and my brain may not be working right. I'll know later...

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom