3 Year Old Cobra from Leisure pro Died, what are my options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LP gets product for every scuba manufacturer. they buy in bulk, some places wont admit to selling direct to LP, But I have heard from some sources that they do buy direct.

Face it, you are a manufacturer of a product, someone wants 100 regs, or computers. And they want to buy another 100 in 2 months.

They get their money no matter to who they sell to, whether it's a LDS or LP, cept LP they make 100's of thousands of dollars. vs 10's of thousands.

LP is the walmart of the dive industry.

it'll be the death of the small dive shop, as you can see has been happening for many years now. more and more shops go away.

Manufacturers sing and dance to the LDS's, but they are full of crap, if they wanted to stop it (LP), they could,. but when you are talking that kind of money, who is going to turn that down ?????

Be realistic here..........

it's all about the money, the manufacturers don't care about anything else. And they do lie to ya too.....

I try to support the few LDS left that are close, IF I can, and IF I trust them, will I pay retail ??? NO.... never.... will I pay a fair price , yes.... if they are within a reasonable range of what I could get it from an LP or grey market, I'll buy local. reasonable to me is not within a few bucks, I understand overhead. But I am not about to pay 900 dollars for a computer that costs in the mid 3's.

lnjohn:
......... I find it interesting that the dive industry continues to not sell product to many local shops if they sell at anything other than the manufacturers suggested price.

Hate to tell you this but, It's not just the dive industry that works this way.

Anther note for what it's worth.

Leisure Pro is the "Fry's electronics" of the diving industy.

Know what I mean?

Why is it that LP had the new Aqualung ACDs for sale before they were released to the general dive market?

lowwall:
So Aqualung is punishing owners of its products by refusing service (not warranty work which makes sense, but paid service) for units purchased through the gray market that they are all too happy to supply? This is at least unethical. I could never support a company with such policies by purchasing any of their products.

Aqualung didn't say that they wouldn't repair it for a fee; they said that the sensor is out and the computer is not repairable. At this point it doesn't matter where it was bought, it can't be fixed.

Ann Marie, the tech indicated to me on the phone that they would not service the computer at all because it was purchased from leisure pro. I know you went the extra mile and made the additional calls to discover that in my case its not repairable, but my previous conversation with the repair department indicated I was out of luck. I have contacted leisure pro and they have indicated if the computer is out of warrany send it to the manufacturer. When I told them I can't they said I could send it in to them but they don't know how long it would take to get a quote on repair. I have a feeling that it would be very long and option would be buy a new one. Just want to clarify the policy on paid service with Aqualung/Suunto products for my own knowledge. It does impact any future purchases on any of their products. I now worry about the extra used micra that I bought at a scuba swap, will they refuse to service the regulator as I have no receipt?

scubapro50:
You would be surprised how many manfuctures don't track the serial numbers all that well .... reason is the cost to keep up the paper trail. The distributor gets large numbers of products from them and they don't log in the individual numbers. THAT'S WHY YOU FILL OUT WARRANTY CARDS and KEEP RECEIPTS. Most times the companies don't track the serial numbers until they receive the cards back.

I can believe this to certain degree - that manufactures do not keep track all that well. However the warranty cards are not for warranty they are for marketing. Ever notice all of the demographic info on the cards? None of this is warranty related. Many manufactures give the impression that in order to have a warranty you need to register. This is falsehood. A warranty can not be conditional on registering. That said because of recalls it is often worth registering so you can be notified when something is recalled. I think the only thing I have registered was my vehicle and the dealer did that for me. Otherwise the cards just go into recycle bin.

And yes, no matter what you should keep the receipts.

My LDS handles all the warranty info for my Suunto and Apeks regs. If you play by the rules and buy from the LDS, they bend over backwards to make you happy.

Leisurepro states they supply the warranty for what they sell and I think the OPs anger should be focused on LP, not Aqualung.

lnjohn:
Ann Marie, the tech indicated to me on the phone that they would not service the computer at all because it was purchased from leisure pro. I know you went the extra mile and made the additional calls to discover that in my case its not repairable, but my previous conversation with the repair department indicated I was out of luck. I have contacted leisure pro and they have indicated if the computer is out of warrany send it to the manufacturer. When I told them I can't they said I could send it in to them but they don't know how long it would take to get a quote on repair. I have a feeling that it would be very long and option would be buy a new one. Just want to clarify the policy on paid service with Aqualung/Suunto products for my own knowledge. It does impact any future purchases on any of their products. I now worry about the extra used micra that I bought at a scuba swap, will they refuse to service the regulator as I have no receipt?

Hi John,

If you have a product that is distributed by Aqualung that needs repair they will repair it no matter where you purchased it. If it has no warranty you will be charged for the repairs.

Micras can be serviced at the Sport Chalet repair center so it wouldn't need to go back to Aqualung at all.

I called Aqualung before posting this just to verify that the information that I had was correct. I have been told the above by several different people at Aqualung.

TheRedHead:
Leisurepro states they supply the warranty for what they sell and I think the OPs anger should be focused on LP, not Aqualung.

I agree I think the OP should be calling LP on the carpet cause from what I can understand at year 3 the warranty is prorated to cost him 25% of the replacement cost. So he should be able to send LP $100 and have a new computer. (Just get the nice folks at Sport Chalet to put it back together first so LP does not say there is user error :)

And he was smart he would then sell the replacement on ebay for $300-$400 and get most/all of his money back and use that money to buy a legit computer from Sport Chalet so that if it goes tits up he can get it fixed/replaced :).

Scared Silly:
I agree I think the OP should be calling LP on the carpet cause from what I can understand at year 3 the warranty is prorated to cost him 25% of the replacement cost. So he should be able to send LP $100 and have a new computer. (Just get the nice folks at Sport Chalet to put it back together first so LP does not say there is user error :)

You're right. I read the warranty info you posted and Leisure Pro is not matching the manufacturer's warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom