3 Year Old Cobra from Leisure pro Died, what are my options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly:
And yes, no matter what you should keep the receipts.

If nothing else, I keep 'em around for insurance purposes. If anything, it's a bit depressing having a stack of receipts an inch or two thick. Wheeee! But in the event of theft, it'll be nice to be able to file a claim on 'em.

scubapro50:
Other than products such as firearms (which are required under federal law) companies don't record the serial numbers ... How many times have you seen recall notices but never got a card telling you about the problem. I own a Ford Explorer (purchased new) and never got a card telling me about the "cruise control" problem. I had to see it on TV and call a dealer to find out I had one. .......... If there is a "factory recall"

Actually, Ford does track all the serial numbers for 10 years. It does send out recall notices in waves, so as not to overwhelm the system on the 1st day with a single mass mailing... the lines at the dealer, and replacement parts preclude this approach. You likely heard the news before they had a chance to send you a postcard. And once the recall is complete, they will not send you one, so it may look like they forgot about you, but they didn't. They supply reminder cards to the dealers for the dealerships to remind you to come in. However, if you have moved, or you are the 2nd or more owner, Ford has to match the VIN against state registration records and other sources to try to find the owner. They also run every vehicle that comes through the service door thought OASIS which tells them if there are any open recalls. There is no dis-incentive to the dealers to do recalls. They typically make good money performing them. And for the manufacturer, they may not like the fact that they had recall something (most are voluntary) but they are focused on getting it done right and keeping the customer happy.

Note: There is a difference between owner notifications and recalls. Recalls the Federal Govn’t tracks completion rates and O/N are voluntary with no reporting. Safety items cannot be owner notifications, only recalls.

In the case of Scubapro / Suunto rejecting to work on an out of warranty, or to honor a recall on piece of life support equipment based on where their "customer" purchased it is Hogwash. If that is true, my beef would be with the manufacturer. Seems like a huge liability issue. I suspect that if this is what you folks are hearing that the top brass at the company is is not seeing things from the "customer" perspective, doesn't understand the power of the Internet and viral marketing, does not understand the legal implications, or is unaware of the whole situation.

Ok, I talked with someone else today at Leisure pro and went over the aqualung 5 year pro rated warranty. My computer was last replaced by Leisure Pro on 10/23/03, meaning that if LP matches warranty as they say they will I'll pay 25% of the cost. The rep was is saying that it may be 50% as it will be over 3 years by the time it gets processed which I will do my best to avoid. I think this chapter is now over, it will probably be months before I know anything, but thanks for the help with the links and differing opinions. It really did give me some ammunition when I thought I was totally out of luck.

lnjohn:
Ok, I talked with someone else today at Leisure pro and went over the aqualung 5 year pro rated warranty. My computer was last replaced by Leisure Pro on 10/23/03, meaning that if LP matches warranty as they say they will I'll pay 25% of the cost. The rep was is saying that it may be 50% as it will be over 3 years by the time it gets processed which I will do my best to avoid. I think this chapter is now over, it will probably be months before I know anything, but thanks for the help with the links and differing opinions. It really did give me some ammunition when I thought I was totally out of luck.
I am confused. Sorry. So are you saying that LP is going to match the warranty? And did they already replace it one time before? If so, I believe that time is being included as one computer right? If so, seems fair.

scubadobadoo:
I am confused. Sorry. So are you saying that LP is going to match the warranty? And did they already replace it one time before? If so, I believe that time is being included as one computer right? If so, seems fair.

I'm confused in why it would take months for him to know anything. Aqualung is not going to replace the computer purchased through Leisurepro. If Leisurepro was going to honor the warranty, they would just do it. :huh:

lnjohn:
My computer was last replaced by Leisure Pro on 10/23/03, meaning that if LP matches warranty as they say they will I'll pay 25% of the cost.
The warranty clock usually starts running when you buy the item originally. The fact that it was replaced under warranty once does not usually restart the warranty clock.

On the other hand:
lnjohn:
The rep was is saying that it may be 50% as it will be over 3 years by the time it gets processed which I will do my best to avoid.
Your claim should be filed already, or at least as of the time you returned it to them. Get a delivery confirmation. The fact that it takes them a while to process paperwork should not be a penalty to you. Otherwise, there is a real incentive to always slow down the processing.

TheRedHead:
I'm confused in why it would take months for him to know anything. Aqualung is not going to replace the computer purchased through Leisurepro. If Leisurepro was going to honor the warranty, they would just do it.
At this point, sounds like you have them caught in a failure to honor their published warranty policy. :no
Sounds like they are trying to recover as much as possible by weasel working you. If they can delay, they can move from the 25% to 50% recovery tranche.

Fight 'em!

Consider the amount of gear LP sells. I doubt they are trying to weasle anyone. 25 or 50% isn't going to break them, lol. Nonehteless, it does seem as if they are being a little wierd here or maybe we aren't getting the entire story. Hey OP, have you actually sent this comp to LP yet and if so when? ALso, when did you originally buy the original computer? We can't determine if they are being slow or shady unless we know all the dates and the entire story. It does apper as if they are mathcing the warranty though based on the OP's last post. I just think we aren't getting the entire picture here. That has been known to happen here before on SB several million times or so.:blinking:

From what I can tell the OP got a replacement for the their first computer in 10/03 which my guess is that the original was bought before sometime before 9/03. And as was said the warranty clock starts at the time of the first purchase so the OP is in already in year three. So if LP restarts the clock with the replacement the OP really got lucky and otherwise even if they pay 50% ($200) they still got a deal because they still paid less than the MRP (but only by $100).

OP please let the board know what LP does in the end as I am sure that this will help others in their decision to buy gray market or not.

To clear things up, I sent the original receipt and discarded the copy when the new computer arrived on 10/03. The computer that I received on 10/03 was a warranty replacement, (new computer) for one that was previously purchased and died, within the 2 year warranty period. The replacement came with a new invoice indicating that it was a replacement and a new original warranty card which indicated that it had to be sent in with any repair or warranty request. If I had to take a guess I would say the initial computer was bought sometime in 2001 or 2002. I know it was within the 2 year warranty period and over 1 year old when it failed. I have the new original warranty card and receipt dated 10/03. I have not yet sent the computer to LP as I am waiting on the missing screws to insure that everything goes in complete. I will ship fedex ground as soon as received and already have RMA, copies of warranties, invoices etc. ready to go. I'll be glad to let the board know the final outcome. Obviously, I am not having the best of luck with these Cobra computers. I have owned 5 computers since 1985 and have only had the Cobra x 2 and 1 Oceanic fail. The Oceanic was replaced at no cost to me and was around 9 years old when sent in. It was an upgrade for a US Divers computer that was recalled if memory serves me correctly. Hope this clears things up for you scubadobadoo, I'm not trying to deceive anyone. I'm just a diver that wants his computer to work again.

Thanks for sharing this info. It looks to me as though LP may be starting the warranty clock over. Which if they do is a really good deal. Good luck with it.

BTW I have owned two Cobra computers and a Vytec all are have been good computers. On the other hand I went through four UWATEC Airs (Pressure transducer failures three times and a screen failure). I finally quit using and sold them because they when replacing a battery they would just send you a reburbished unit. The same with any repairs. On one hand it was great cause you got it back fast but then their history was suspect. In the end they did finally send me a brand one when I told them I was tired of the refurbished units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom