3 Year Old Boy Near-Drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They warn us about Critical Incidence Stress (PTSS, different names) in Padi's rescue course, you may well teach about that yourself with whichever agency you're with, and it's a dragon to take seriously, but yours was even more personal in ways. It happened with a child so much like your own, there in your backyard, having to fight the parents off to help and more. I guess it's natural to feel some stress but do accept that you two were great as well as his only hope.

I went camping with some crazy people this weekend: my dearly loved grandkids. My daughter asked me to see if I can find an inflatable raft the kids could play on at the lake's "beach" and we agreed only if they all wore PFDs or the snorkel vests I gave them. I looked, here late in the season, and got a couple of toys. The water was sandy, no-viz and I was still nervous about them out there, but amazed at some of the other families and how they let their kids play in it as I can't believe that they were all water safe. Maybe, but I was nervous about them too. I didn't really want to get in that water, did some, but mostly I sit on the side in a shorty with snorkel gear ready hollaring "That's too far!" :blush:

Attachments

• Beach-10.jpg
    Beach-10.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 52
Thanks ya'll. Yeah, Dan, I find myself watching the pool here a lot, when kids are out. It's funny, how, now, all the parents here, are suddenly watching their kids better. Hmmm.

Good news. Charlie is out of ICU. He is in his own room and no seizures for four days. He is looking good. They will have a while before they can be certain of what damage he may have, but he is really looking good this far. Hell, he's breathing and looking at them.

You know, my attitude on a lot of things has changed. Nothing is such a big problem. Things are really pretty good. Perspective is a great thing.

Ya'll have a great weekend. I am going diving. With my husband, son, and daughter. Life is good.

Any news on the boy and how are you doing?

Any news on the boy and how are you doing?

Thanks for thinking of us. We are good. I mean it. Just fine. We've had lots of support and perspective.

Charlie is semi-conscious and flying today to Aberdeen, Scotland. They have a pediatric nuerological rehab specialty hospital there. The doctors seem to think he has excellent chances for a strong recovery. He is responding more and more daily. He is off all tubes, swallowing by himself, tracking visually and by sound, and responding to touch also. He is also trying to vocalize. These are good things. He seems to be slowly improving day by day. They are going to give him hyperbaric therapy along with other things to help. His parents are strong and absolutely thrilled to have him with them. They realize what a miracle he is.

So, all is mending, and some good things have come out of it. I have managed to organize First Aid/CPR courses for 97 people thus far. I am glad for that. Every parent in teh complex has signed up, as well as other single adults, teachers at my school, at the parent's school, and others who heard about it through word of mouth.

Thanks for everything!!
Dee Dee

Thanks for thinking of us. We are good. I mean it. Just fine. We've had lots of support and perspective.

Charlie is semi-conscious and flying today to Aberdeen, Scotland. They have a pediatric nuerological rehab specialty hospital there. The doctors seem to think he has excellent chances for a strong recovery. He is responding more and more daily. He is off all tubes, swallowing by himself, tracking visually and by sound, and responding to touch also. He is also trying to vocalize. These are good things. He seems to be slowly improving day by day. They are going to give him hyperbaric therapy along with other things to help. His parents are strong and absolutely thrilled to have him with them. They realize what a miracle he is.

So, all is mending, and some good things have come out of it. I have managed to organize First Aid/CPR courses for 97 people thus far. I am glad for that. Every parent in teh complex has signed up, as well as other single adults, teachers at my school, at the parent's school, and others who heard about it through word of mouth.

Thanks for everything!!
Dee Dee

Well done, especially on the CPR and first aid courses, i'm new at diving, but I've been in the fire service for more than 14 years now, and I've developed the opinion that teaching as many people as possible some basic rescue skills is as much a preventative as a curative for an incident. Anyone can take CPR, most will not be able to actually do it when TSHTF, but just taking the class develops some of the observation and critical thinking skills that can prevent a close call from being a real emergency. Kudos to you!

(edited for typo)

Last edited:
Just saw this and wanted to say GREAT JOB! Organizing the CPR classes may end up touching other lives in the future, you are giving others the chance to help instead of being forced to stand and watch again. Keep up the effort!

Glad to hear Charlie is improving!
Ber :lilbunny:

Good job to you and your husband! When a child is involved, the emotional rules change.

The main thing that was drilled into our heads while taking CPR classes, was that your goal is not to get them to breathe again, because statistically, getting someone to start breathing with CPR is slim to none (per my Red Cross CPR Trainer), you do it to keep blood flowing until paramedics arrive.

With that said, it sounds to me that you and your husband did exactly what you were trained to do. Pat yourselves on the back! There was a reason you were late that day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom