3 or 7 mil wetsuit needed for Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS just did a trip there and said people were diving in 7 mils

I just got back and used a 5mil. Near the end of the week I was getting a little chilled... not bad. but mostly at the end of the dive. I wore my full hood for a couple of dives and that made a HUGE difference. A 7 mil is soooo big and bulky and the additional weight will eat into your air. I would recommend a 5 mil and maybe a hooded vest at the most.

Bruce

Going over end of April.
Have a 3mm, 5mm hooded vest and a 7mm. Guess I'll take 'em all.
Wifey only has the 7mm.
We're used to SoCal waters where 55*F is close to the limit for 7mm.

Going over end of April.
Have a 3mm, 5mm hooded vest and a 7mm. Guess I'll take 'em all.
Wifey only has the 7mm.
We're used to SoCal waters where 55*F is close to the limit for 7mm.
Your wife dives 55F in a 7 mil? Women generally chill easier, but we're all different, and we change. Be a big spender, get her a 3 mil long. :lol2:

Hey ya DD,
In all honesty she shys away when the water gets cooler.
But I'm the one that gets cold sooner LOL

Guess I'll have to get her that 3mm. Wanna chip in? :)

Hey ya DD,
In all honesty she shys away when the water gets cooler.
But I'm the one that gets cold sooner LOL

Guess I'll have to get her that 3mm. Wanna chip in? :)
Ok then, I think she'll want the 7 mil for Bahamas in April, but - it still depends on the actual water and SI air temps at the time. They vary, too.

Why would I want to chip in...? :confused:

I am currently in the Bahamas and I went out today and definetly I would say a 7 mm will be the best!! I wore mine that is 3mm and I was still colddddd!!! Even though Im a wimp for cold waters.

I was in the southern Bahamas on the CEI out of Georgetown a couple weeks ago. Did Long Is., Conception Island and San Sal. Water Temps were 71-74 F. Most divers wore 5 or 7 mil with hoods. I used my 3 mil lined Pinnacle plus a 5/3 hooded vest. Plenty warm.

A 7 mil is such a pain to get on and off compared to two layers. But the hood makes all the difference. Don't dive with out one in those temps.

At the risk of beating a dead horse....I used both a 3mm and 7mm during recent Bahamas liveaboard. The 3mm was too cool in the middle of the week...my 7 mm was too hot....had to vent it a lot to keep from overheating. Best combo is 3 or 5mm with a hooded vest....works fine for most folks and takes up less space in your luggage. That 7mm I dragged down there was awfully bulky.

Just my two cents, on top of everyone else's two cents!!

I took my 1 mil and 3 mil over New Years hoping to dive the 1 mil. Ended up wearing both, wishing I had my 5 mil. Always good to take more than you need, but I thot I had. I guess you don't know for sure until you get there and diving, as water, air, and personal bodies change. Can usually rent a heavier one to wear over your own skin...

Back
Top Bottom