3 or 7 mil wetsuit needed for Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be diving in the Bahamas at the end of the month. Do most wear 3 mil shorties or are we better off wearing our 7 mil full suits? I believe the temperature is around 70 F at that time of year, is this correct? (We'll be in Freeport)

I was in Freeport last year Feb 2nd, on a Blackbeards cruise, I used a 7m 2 piece and a 3m shortie... Most others on the boat used a 7mm I think..... Depends on how much you plan on diving and how cold you get... the water temp was in the 70's

water temp around 70 degrees? You need at least a 5mm, 7mm would be better. brrrrr It all depends how easily you get cold, but it is all cummulative also........so the more dives per day, the colder you will get, the more days in a row you dive, the colder you get. I would take the 7mm.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely take my 7 mil. Besides guessing, how much extra weight would I need to go from a 3 mil shorty (12 lbs weight) to a full 7 mil suit?

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely take my 7 mil. Besides guessing, how much extra weight would I need to go from a 3 mil shorty (12 lbs weight) to a full 7 mil suit?
there are fomulas for figuring that all out, but honestly I think the dive op should help you with that. Just tell them it is your first time in a 7mm suit in salt water, tell them your weight, and they will give you the correct weight within a few lbs. Then do a dive and see how it goes. Add or subtract for the next dive.

This one of the reasons I always log every dive - I keep info on what I saw, but also which suit I was wearing, how many #lbs I was wearing, water temp, conditions, etc. That way I can go back and revisit the info when needed.

I emailed Stuart Cove's on Providance Is. and they said the current water temp is 74 and they recommended a full wet suit, 3mm or thicker.

I am going to the Bahamas the first week in Feb. Liveaboard. I have been watching the weather somewhat fanatically. Fear of being cold makes me do this stuff a lt. Nassau has had day temps in the mid 80's and yes water temp is mid 70's. I am bringing my 3mm for the first dive and a 7 mm for everything else. Night dive I plan to also wear my thermals under my 7mm. Also packing lots of warmer clothes for night time to warm up in....Nights are cool.

Take both, but expect to use the 7 mil. Varies a lot with individuals, but I was wishing for my 5 mil off of Exuma last month. I was okay is my 3 mil ontop of my 1 mil plus a beanie, but next Dec I'm packing the 5! Take water resistant sport pants and a coat with a hood, too - just in case. I've been in the Bahamas twice in Dec, was glad I did both time.

Oh, what if you have to pay for over weight? They accept all usual forms. :D

Just got back from a week on the Aquacat out of Nassau. First time in the Ocean actually for us :)

We took our 5mm full suits... primarily because it's what we had. No regrets on that though. We were never too-warm throughout the trip, and maybe felt a little cool by the end. That said, there were people on the trip diving in shorts and t-shirt, though they started complaining about temperature mid-week and added a 3mm shortie.

The added lead was a shocker. Probably ended up overweighted, but a big part of that was due to the 1st time in open ocean factor. I went from 8 lbs at home in fresh water to 26 lbs in the ocean - same gear config otherwise (including steel bp). Oh, this was also switching from steel HP80's to AL80's. Unfortunately, we never really took the time to do a proper weight check - probably could have taken a few pounds off by mid-week but chose to leave it on since it wasn't causing a problem, and was helpful for things like the drift dives (and the Washing Machine!).

Took a hood but ended up not using it. Some people were using beanies.

We had our first day diving in the Bahamas today. I wore my 7 mil full suit for all 4 dives and was very comfortable. My husband decided to wear his 3 mil shorty but was cold during the 2nd dive so switched over to his 7 mil too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom