3 mm or 4 mm for CoCo, Thailand, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAJim

Contributor
Reaction score
We normally dive SoCal wearing 7 mm suits - with Hendersen 5/3 hooded vests added in February to get through the winter (54 F). We have trips coming up to CoCo View (late May) and Thailand (June), and we will probably hit the Sea of Cortez at some point. We also have 3 mm shorties that are nice around 80 F.

We plan to get a lighter full exposure suit. I guess 5 mm is really an option too, but I've been mostly thinking about 3 mm vs. 4 mm. I suppose we *might* think about diving the new suits in SoCal above the thermocline in late summer, maybe with the 5/3 below it, but our 7 mm will be our prmary suits for SoCal, and we are loking for the best choice for warmer water.

Any feelings on this? Vendor will probably be a custom manufacturer in Thailand.

Jim

the waters of thailand are a constant 27degrees cels, with therms at 26.

A totally full 3mm is good but if u tend to get cold on repetitive dives, juz layer ur torso with something.

hope this is useful.

3mm is good warm water

I dove CoCo View last year..The water temps were 82-84. I used a 3mm full suit and was to the point of being almost too warm. Multiple dives it comes in handy as there were at least 4 per day, two in am and two in pm. I also took a 3mm shorty, used it in the am and switched to the other in afternoon and night dive. 6-8lbs of wt. On the night dives the full is good to ward of the jellies, but they weren't really any problem. Hope this helps.

I just came back from Thailand with a nice aqualung 5mm semidry and was very comfortable - never too cold nor hot. All the instructors & divemasters I ran into had 5mm scubapro or mares semidry's also.

People were diving with 3mm shorty's and even 1 in just boardies, although during the second dive, some looked a tad uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone. I think the plan is to buy full 3mm and take our shorties as well as 5/3 hooded vests - this should cover it.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom