3 mil full vs shorty in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfmiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am heading down to KL tomorrow and wondering to pack either my 3 mil shorty or full? I understand the water temps around 83 or so?

Thanks

I've been down in June and seen people diving with no wetsuit, to vests/skins, to shorties, to 3mm and to 5mm. just depends on your temp tolerance.

I'd say a full suit 5mm is definately overkill.

your 3mm shorty should be find unless you get chilled easily. then bring your full if you think you might need it. (but I doubt you will).

water temp at the NOAA Molasses Reef monitoring station is about 83f 'right now'.
see NDBC - Station MLRF1

Thanks, I don't own a 5mm full but a 3mm full and shorty. If I take the 3 short then I might save some weight in the luggage !!! hahaha

Right now our divers are in 3mil shorties and 2mil full suits. Today the water was 84 and I was diving in a 2 mil full which was quite comfortable.

Good Diving,

Thanks, I don't own a 5mm full but a 3mm full and shorty. If I take the 3 short then I might save some weight in the luggage !!! hahaha

I did a liveaboard last year in the keys this time of year and most dive dove either my 2/3mm shorty or my 2mm vest. In the mornings I tended to dive my 3mm full, but that was becauase we were hitting the deeper wrecks and I also was bone cold due to the A/C catching up during the night and freezing my ass off. (meaning I was still cold when I got in the water).

If I head down for day boat trips in June/July, I don't even bother taking a full suit. just the shorty and/or the vest.

Might want to consider the full to protect against abrassions, and poss. sea lice. Personally I couldnt stand a full anything down there.

I dove 2 weeks ago in West Palm in a 3mm shorty and was fine. And I get cold easily. Water temp was 82.

Might want to consider the full to protect against abrassions, and poss. sea lice. Personally I couldnt stand a full anything down there.

Good advise. Sea lice are just bothersome, but any protection that could keep them at bay would be nice. Recommendation: 2 mil full, w/gloves. Full is good sometimes, but less is always better.
:hai:
Good Diving,

I hate diving in wet suits, so when ever I get the chance to leave it home I am happy! If the water is in the mid 80's....thats perfect for no wet suit diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom