3 Discovery dives - Just completed PADI - OW Cert. Should I get Nitrox Cert now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just completed my PADI Open Water certification this weekend. Prior to that I have done 3 discovery dives in Cozumel. In July I will be going on a cruise. On 4 of the 5 stops I will be making 2 tank dives with the Cruise Excursions.

I am considering Nitrox certification for the increased safety factor (not increased bottom time) Is there any reason I should wait until I have more dives under my belt?

I am considering Nitrox certification for the increased safety factor (not increased bottom time) Is there any reason I should wait until I have more dives under my belt?

For dives allowed by an OW cert (60') you're not likely to have much need for the increased safety factor from diving Nitrox vs. air.

My suggestion would be to get a few more dives under your belt and develop a comfort zone and then look at taking a GOOD AOW class. After that, you may find Nitrox to be more beneficial.

you may not get much benefit initially but there is no reason not to do the course if you have time.

it will also be the start of your aow if you decide to go there.

WHAT increased safety factor? I have my Nitrox book right next to me from a few years ago and it reads nothing about increased safety. Is there some mutually understood fact about EANx that I don't know?

EDIT: Of course, other than the increased NDLs

if you dive air and Nitrox to the NDL, there is no safety factor. But if you dive Nitrox to the air NDL as some people do, or at least not all the way to it's real NDL, you will be absorbing less nitrogen.

Many people dive nitrox with computers set for air. This provides an additional safety factor (lower nitrogen loading) as long as the MOD for the nitrox mix is not exceeded. I do this all the time for my local quarry diving, where it is impossible to exceed MOD. I am one of those divers who feels better using nitrox, so I do it whenever it is available and fits the dive.

if you dive air and Nitrox to the NDL, there is no safety factor. But if you dive Nitrox to the air NDL as some people do, or at least not all the way to it's real NDL, you will be absorbing less nitrogen.

Well, yes. I did know that much. I just thought the OP was talking about "safety" associated with diving EANx in itself! :rofl3:

There's no real reason to wait. Plus, if you do it right after your OW course, you won't have to completely relearn your dive planning calculation like I did...

No reason to wait, and if you take a good course it should reinforce some of the science and calculations you were introduced to in OW.

No reason to wait to actually take the class, but you'll probably not benefit that much from spending more money on Nitrox fills at your current experience.

I'm not sure what you're air consumption is like, but if you're not going close to your NDLs frequently, then Nitrox might not be that beneficial for the cost. Plus, if you're staying above 60ft depth, then it's not that likely that you'll reach your NDLs. Your air intake will get better as you get in more dives.

But since the Nitrox cert is just a class, no reason not to get it now if you want to dive Nitrox in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom