3-25 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Pics.
You seem to be getting along all right with the TTL. I assume thats what you are shooting.
The white on the fish looks a fraction overexposed but other than that great.
The exposure on the last looks spot on.
Have you been correcting in PS or are these straight off the camera?

Ben_ca:
So Larry how's the keeper to trashed shots now a days?
The lighting is working out really well. The YS-110 is way bigger than my old FL-20, so it's a little harder to get into tight places. I have a few black outs when it's behind a rock, but the built in focus light helps me with that. With the crummy vis and the surge lately, I've been throwing out a lot that have backscatter, bad focus due to a moving camera that couldn't stay on the focal point, etc. Generally I'm getting good pics out of most every dive, though.

victor:
You seem to be getting along all right with the TTL. I assume thats what you are shooting.
The white on the fish looks a fraction overexposed but other than that great.
The exposure on the last looks spot on.
Have you been correcting in PS or are these straight off the camera?

I always do some correction in Rawshooter and generally do some light touch-up to get rid of silt and backscatter in photoshop. Usually, I'll try the autolevels on some or all of the shot as well, as the camera has a built in leaning toward red in the auto white balance. My biggest issue of late has been the relative strength of the YS-110 compared to the Sunpak, and the location of the slave strobe. Sometimes I'll have a strong shadow on the face of the fish and if I get rid of a slight overexposure or add contrast, it blends into the background. Best trick for that has been using the magnetic lasso to isolate the fish and then backing off the contrast on the background to lessen the shadows running together. Hopefully, I'll continue to get better on the lighting and reduce the shadows, but when you're shooting a fish that lights for just a few seconds, you just don't have time to mess too much with both strobes.

Larry

Are you making any adjustment to the in camera flash intensity ? I generally set it to -0.7 for macro and close up stuff, it works well to prevent over exposure - the Olympus TTL runs a little hot most of the time, especially on light subjects.

AndyT:
Larry

Are you making any adjustment to the in camera flash intensity ? I generally set it to -0.7 for macro and close up stuff, it works well to prevent over exposure - the Olympus TTL runs a little hot most of the time, especially on light subjects.

So far, I've kept it at "0", but if I continue to get hot spots I'll dial it down a little. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom