3-24-7 Destin Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
I assume that picture is current--up to date?

N

I'd guess it's a couple years old. so I wouldn't say up to date. but unless you find one that is timestamped, hard to find one up to date.

In the above pic the sand on the shoreline had moved around a lot last summer. It receeded at the taller condo along their beach wall and there was a bunch more sand on the jetty finger than what is shown in the picture.

also last summer they replenished some of the sand between the finger and the road. They were out there will large equipment moving it around.

I don't know when this below pic was taken either, but it's another overhead. I just snagged if off Google Maps. I'd guess it might be the most current, but it still could be a year or two old easily also

destin-jetties-overhead.jpg

Also, if anyone else was interested in the parking area, this is a photo that SEAYODA took and had posted at one time before Scubaboard screwed up the gallery and attachements. It shows the parking area and the showerhead that marks the entrance to the beach access. The showhead is on the 4"x4" post circled in the pic.

26242entry-pano.jpg

I was wondering what happened to those attachments from Yoda's post. I wish i would have seen that before I went out there. I twould have saved me that long, long walk out there. Oh, Well I needed the exercise anyway :D .

wjefferis:
I was wondering what happened to those attachments from Yoda's post. I wish i would have seen that before I went out there. I twould have saved me that long, long walk out there. Oh, Well I needed the exercise anyway :D .

Yeah..., Scubaboard had problems with their servers and any attachements that were before the problem were either lost or are not longer accessible. I had saved that pic off somewhere beforehand.

I would have never found it either if someone hadn't shown me. Someone who didn't know where the beach access was told me that to go to the end of the road and park and walk up the beach. I guess they had been doing it this way when they dove and didn't know either. I even saw some guys parked near the access gearing up and wondered why they parked so far from the end of the road. (I didn't dive there this time as I was just looking for the jetties).

Luckily the first time I dove there, Yoda "showed me the way" and save me a lot of walking!

I look foward to diving it. I really like taking photos and shell collecting while diving. I have heard that there is a "hole" where lots of shells collect out on the Jetty. Can't wait to pick through and find a couple cool ones.

Its not really a hole, its just the bottom of the channel. We call it the shell bed, it was covered in sand the last time we dove to the end of the point. Hit currents on this past weekend that kept us from getting too far.

It'll uncover sooner or later, if its not already accessible again.

Are the jettys on the East side of the Channel at Florida Point (Fla/Ala line) diveable? I was there today and the waves there were quite impressive. Some of them were coliding within the channel and appeared to be throwing spray about 15 ft in the air.

floridapoint.jpg

You can dive them, but they are pretty shallow and get more boat traffic than the west side.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yes, you can park in the gravel area on the marina side of the road. Its public parking, nobody will tow you.

Waves were up in Destin as well, but the jetty we dive is protected by the southernmost jetty, so despite surf conditions, we can still make that dive :)

don't ask SeaYoda or Mike_S for parking advice.... they parks crazy!

Aren't you the one that ticks off the other beach-goers over there? LOL

I seem to remember someone gracing your truck wtih profanity via key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom