3-24-7 Destin Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
I Nemrod and scuba sidekick, Captain Fathom, might, might, make an appearance thereabout on the 25th and 26th but the 24th is a no go. We may be in need of guides to point us towards the water. N

Diving beaches off the AL coast on the 25th, Whiskey Wreck and AL Point Jetties.

If the schedule works out, I'll be there on the 24th.

I'll try to remember to bring the lenses this time Yoder.

Ah, so you actually have a ScubaBoard registration eh? I thought you were just a Zen Diver.

After all this talk about hitting the Destin Jetties I went out there today (2-28-07) to try get familiar with the area since I have never been there. At first I drove to the very end of Gulf Shore Dr. and walked behind the condos on the sea wall to get to the Jetties. After taking the extreme long way I saw where the little cut-through is which will come in handy. The water looked very clear and the waves were ankle snappers at best. I don't know if it was and in-comming or out-going tide but I am glad I didn't bring my gear or I would have been doing some solo diving action. My question to all of you that have dove this area alot is can you park in the parking area on the right side of the road where the marina starts or do you have to park and the very end. I have heard that the Marina will tow your vehicle if you park on the right side.

I also drove by Navarre peir on the way back into Pensacola. The waves were up enough that I know visibility would have been crappy, but the water still had a pretty blue color and the weather was really nice.

Yes, you can park in the gravel area on the marina side of the road. Its public parking, nobody will tow you.

Waves were up in Destin as well, but the jetty we dive is protected by the southernmost jetty, so despite surf conditions, we can still make that dive :)

Wjeffries,

this image should give you an overview of the area.

At start of that parallel parking area at the last beach house, there is a shower head on a post and a few municipal signs. This is the public beach access that goes down beside that larger condo unit.

destin-jetty-map.jpg

yep, the red path is the way I got back. I kept thinking to myself while walking along the seawall (the wrong, long, long way) that there was no way in he@# I was going to walk with all my gear and have to manuver around some big rocks to get to the Jetty. Luckily some locals were there and I followed them to the "red path."

Thanks you for the aerial view that you posted. I have dived that area many times but the last five years or so I have kayaked across from the area to the west of the bridge. I will not be kayaking this time because my buddy is not a kayaker so we will attempt to walk in. There have been many storms and constructions since last I walked in but it looks do-able still.

I assume that picture is current--up to date?

N

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom