3/2 versus full 3 wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy_Starkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Diving 80 degree Cozumel waters, is there much difference between a full 3 and a 3/2 wetsuit in staying warm?

Thanks!

--Randy Starkey

I don't think there would be much of a difference. I personally use my BARE 3/2 when I'm in the Caribbean.

Given a choice I'd get the full 3. My reason is that my arms are the most likely area to chill. You probably have 3mm on your core. Legs in general are working and warm so next time (I have a 3/2) I'd get a full 3. Obviously for certan dives either will work, it's more a case of matching to the weakest link.

Pete

I don't notice any difference between a full 3mm and a 3/2.

If your core and your head are warm, then having less neoprene on the arms and legs just reduces the lead you need to carry.

I am a real warm-water-wuss and use my O'neil 3/2 (plus a beanie) for shallow dives as cold as 75F, deeper dives as cold as 78F. A 3/2 should be fine for 80F in Cozumel, even though you are exerting yourself much and therefore need more suit than on an active swimming dive.

Construction makes a huge difference too. A normal 3/2 suft suit like a body glove ARC (what i use in the summer) is just fine for 80 water , perfect for me, room temp. But if were to try use a full 3 excursion suit by bodyglove i would bake . There almost semi-dry or could be classed as .

Some people really like the 3/2 beacuase it is slightly less constricting on the arms and legs. I have a full 3mm, but I borrowed my friend's 3/2 last time I dove with him down in the Keys. I couldn't tell the difference. Get the suit which fits you the best and that you get the best deal on, or that you think looks the coolest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom