2nd stage quick disconnects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Wininger

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to add a quick disconnect to my FFM and 2nd stage that share a 1st stage. Wanting to carry a spare mask, and reg to be able to switch out if a failure happened and salvage a dive.

Is there one that is considered king of the mountain, or more importantly ones to avoid?

There are basically 2 "standards" on the market.
The Omniswivel CEJN fittings are the standard for FFM's. Nipple on the regulator, body on the hose and they're essentially a giant inflator hose like on your BC. They have been the standard in that world for many years because the nipple is so small. They were the standard in CCR's for a while until they almost killed a couple divers because they made a slight change and they were not compatible in one direction anymore *can't remember if it was new body didn't fit old nipple or vice versa, but doesn't matter*.
When that happened, the CCR world went to Swagelok QC6 and that is essentially the standard for the CCR and cave world. QC6 is advantageous because they are double end shutoff, but are much larger and heavier so you need an intermediate hose between them and your mouth.

So the Omniswivel is the standard in public safety, Swagelok QC6 is the standard in the cave community.

The DiveGearExpress ones for like $30 are perfectly fine though and if you think you need them, then I would probably start there since you'll be out $35 instead of $100 for the Omniswivel.

Now, on my actual opinion.
When I dive FFM, my FFM has an omniswivel QC on the mouthpiece that connects it to the switch block, and the switch block has QC6's on it to connect to my tanks *because I have QC6 on all of my regulators for CCR* and for some of the diving that I do it is required that I have a switch block. I always carry a spare half mask, but I don't intend on using the Omniswivel as a QD underwater. If that second stage fails for whatever reason then I switch to the second stage around my neck and abort the dive. Fix it at the surface. If your FFM fails, you should not just continue the dive. Doesn't mean you can't hop up to the surface and unscrew it and put a normal second stage on there, but getting a half mask and second stage out of your pocket and plugging it in to complete a dive is not a smart idea in my opinion.

FYI, the Omniswivel QD fittings may look very similar to CEJN, but Omniswivel states and our customers occasionally return because the Omniswivel QD fittings are NOT compatible with CEJN.

maybe that's what the change was back in the day, they used to be CEJN compatible then there was a slight change. Who's to say. Out of curiosity, are yours compatible with the Omni's or anything else?

I bought a QD and swivel for my FFM from Piranha Dive Mfg. It fitted perfectly with the QD male connector of the Ocean Reef Neptune, and costed a fraction of the Omniswivel QD and swivel.

The Omniswivel CEJN fittings are the standard for FFM's.
QD and swivel for my FFM from Piranha Dive Mfg. It fitted perfectly with the QD male connector of the Ocean Reef Neptune, and cost a fraction of the Omniswivel QD and swivel.

So.... is the Piranha QD a cheaper match for OmniSwivel's CEJN? Or does the Ocean Reef Neptune not follow the standard suggested by @tbone1004 above?

[G]etting a half mask and second stage out of your pocket and plugging it in to complete a dive is not a smart idea in my opinion.

I have to second that . . .

dx-highflowqd-lock_1.jpg
Magnificent!
When in stock!

DGX High Flow QD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom