2nd stage breathing wet or freeflows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gurnie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone one know anything about the HOG 2nd stage breathing wet or freeflowing in high flow / current situations? Someone was telling me that there was the possiblity in some versions that the flow passing over the diaphragm could make it fold over itself or not lay flat causing it to breath wet? Thanks

You are exactly correct. The design of the second stage housing allows high flow to push the diaphragm right out of the way, allowing water to enter. Chris at HOG has a fix, and said that he would ship replacements to anyone who asked with the new housing... but try as we might, we can NEVER get good service out of him or the replacement 2nd stages. His terrible customer service and total lack of initiative in taking care of his customers is the reason I will never recommend HOG to anyone EVER again.

How do I know if the reg I have is a model that needs the fix?

You are exactly correct. The design of the second stage housing allows high flow to push the diaphragm right out of the way, allowing water to enter. Chris at HOG has a fix, and said that he would ship replacements to anyone who asked with the new housing... but try as we might, we can NEVER get good service out of him or the replacement 2nd stages. His terrible customer service and total lack of initiative in taking care of his customers is the reason I will never recommend HOG to anyone EVER again.

Sarcasm, I hope?

Sarcasm, I hope?

Uh, no. It's not.

How old is the reg? If you bought it before January, or if you bought it after January, and it's inventory from last year, it's the reg with the issue.

It is new, but a buddy told me the thought this was "old stock"? Was not sure if there was some physical identifier I could use to date it.

Does anyone one know anything about the HOG 2nd stage breathing wet or freeflowing in high flow / current situations? Someone was telling me that there was the possiblity in some versions that the flow passing over the diaphragm could make it fold over itself or not lay flat causing it to breath wet? Thanks

on the first gen of the HOG second stage there were a very few people that had the issue in high flow when they turned their head sideways to the flow the reg breathed wet, it didn't flood and the exhaust diaphragm did not flip over.

I changed the body so it doesn't do that and in fact anybody who has wanted one I am happy to change the body or send their dealer one for the dealer to do. Free btw.

It really is not so common a complaint.

Last edited:
Cerich, Thanks.. How do I tell if the unit have is the old or new body?

give me a few mis and I will take a picture of the new

Cerich, Thanks.. How do I tell if the unit have is the old or new body?

Also, Chris adressed me personally about the issues I am having and was able to create another happy consumer. I rescind my previous statement. I believe he is a good guy overwhelmed by unheard of growth in this market.

Back
Top Bottom