2nd hand tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorro

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all I was just given some tanks 1x steel and 1x alloy. There is a very small amount of surface rust on the steel tank, should I sand it off and repaint it before hydro? What paint should I use if I do. Cheers

Sorro

What is the finish of the steel cylinder? The one thing you don't want to do is blast away a galvanized finish, even if it has blemishes.

In general I would spot blast to clean out the corrosion and go with a cold galvanized finish. If they are painted with a topcoat color then touch them up with a good enamel paint. Unless they are a total mess I would hesitate to blow away a factory finish that is more durable than most nnaything you will replace it with.

If these are really small blamishes then skop the blaster unless you are good at confining the process and use someting like emery and a pencil eraser.

Pete

I would hydro and then if it passes glass bead or some other lite sand blast works really nice... Or just hand sand and then galvo paint with a brush... I glass beaded my steel tanks then zinc-chromemate primer and a top coat of enamel-ploy automotive paint...
. 525.jpg 534.jpg It's a lot of work to make them nice... But they do look good...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom