2nd best shorediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With Bonaire remaining the undisputed heavywieght champion of the shore diving world, where is 2nd best?

10 years ago I would have said Cayman Brac, now I'm not sure as the operations there have ceased and it will not be the same ever as they have extended a channel on the south side of the island and the last hurricane has left the island struggling to even have one dive op.
Bonaire is definitely #1.

What do you mean by - they have extended a channel on the south side . . .?

What do you mean by - they have extended a channel on the south side . . .?

At the Divi Tiara there was shore diving right in front of the hotel/condos. We used to shore dive off the Divi's dock or off the small concrete dock in front of the condos. The gov't extended a channel along the south shore to a public ramp. With boats that frequently traveled through this small channel way it became too dangerous to shore dive off the south shore.
You used to be able to rent a tank for shore dives from the Brac Reef as well as the Divi but that also came to an end once the Divi closed up. Also, there was plenty of shore dives that we used to make off the north shore but now it's impossible to get a tank to do that sort of thing.

I will be watching this thread.
I do a lot of shore dives here in Broward, I do not exactly think it is #2 in the world though.
I dove in the Turks and Caicos off the shore a lot in the early 90's.
That was sweet!
But I like to swim......

Monterey California, lots of dive sites accessible from shore.

Monterey California, lots of dive sites accessible from shore.

I am looking for the WARM WATER #2......

Chug

There is no doubt that Bonaire is #1 shore diving in the world.

I don't think you will find any place that comes close in diversity of sites and ease of diving. Shore diving is great if anyone can do it and love it, beginner to advanced diver. Bonaire is the top destination for that.

the second best................... a liveaboard!!!. You are basically doing the same thing, just no driving or lugging gear.

The other places we have enjoyed shore diving have all been where we dove right in front of the resort where we stayed.

Scuba club cozumel has a nice rubble pile with tons of fish. No real coral or color, but tons of fish, crabs, eels, octopus, etc. right in 20' deep water. Being that it is Cozumel, there is some current, sometimes quite a bit and nothing but sand out away from resort, so you can spent 1-2 hours right there looking in the rubble for fish. We did it one dive each day and it was fine but I wouldn't do it more than that. It was a great night dive, too. Nothing like Bonaire, but it got us in our 3rd dive of day there which we always wanted after morning boat dives. Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

CocoView Resort, Roatan has excellent shore diving right at the resort and with the free 24/7 diving there, it can't be beat. Grab you gear and walk right out into the water on a sandy path they have created, stop at the platform to put on fins and mask that they have also put there for divers, and then follow the chain out to 2 fantastic walls or 2 wrecks! Some people go to the resort and skip the boat dives, doing only shore dives all week. And every night there are always night divers heading out, so there is always someone to dive with. This resort itself gets an A+ from me, so even if the shore diving isn't as varied as Bonaire, we really enjoyed it more overall.
Welcome to CoCo View Resort

CCV_shorediving120.jpg

you can see the sand path, the platform, and divers. The buoys mark each of the 2 vertical walls and then another one marks the Prince Albert wreck which sits between them.
live webcam: Welcome to CoCo View Resort
you can watch people going in and coming out of water. Sunday morning is the mandatory Orientation shore dive with DM, so you see groups heading in and out, too.

robin:D

That coco view looks sweet.... I may have to look more at that one....
Anyone know if there is shore diving in the Caymans?

Ron L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom