250% stretch neoprene question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm and a Bare Velocity vest 7mm and I went diving in low temp like 39F. The only part on my body that froze were my hands. The rest was OK.

I am in the market for a new wetsuit. Does the super stretchy material keep you as warm/protected as a wetsuit that is not made of the 250% four way stretch neoprene? For example does a 5 mill stretchy suit keep you warm like a 5 mill reqular non super stretch wetsuit or is it the same and just a comfort issue?

In absolute terms the super stretch material will not be as warm, especially on deep dives. Those same properties that make it compliant let it crush early in the descent. The other point made is how much you stretch the stuff. You can liken thickness and area to Boyle's law. The bigger your stretch it the thinner it will be.

The Bare Velocity series is a hybrid that places stretch material in strategic locations so as not to compromise thermal protection all over. It's a very sensible suit.

I have read of some divers that buy hyper stretch sizes one thickness up so they can enjoy the stretch. To each his own but I need a better reason to strap extra lead onto my butt.

One thing to watch out for is the thickness combinations. Some Hendersons are 7 mm suits with 5mm sleeves. Why do hands get cold? One reason is that thin sleeves allow the blood to cool some before getting to the hands, get full thickness sleeves if possible, one mm less at worst.

For the sake of perspective I speaking as a New England diver who tends to dive wet down to 50F and may dip into the 40s on a wet dive. Someone in a warmer climate may be less demanding and get by with more compromises.

Pete

Jus remeber this........Henderson uses watersport neoprene, other companies like BARE and O'neill and Pincacle offer suits of higher denseness neoprene, that stretch as good if no better an they no compress the way that Henderson do.

Henderson is quite less dense neoprene than other companies, but have more advertising dollars and a name to promote themselves, but they offer far less stock suits that allow divers to squeeze them in because they stretch.

I had a Bare rep show me the difference in their suit vs. the Henderson suit a couple years ago on a trip to NJ and you get better warmer neoprene from Bare, better fit that have contours for the body, a progressive stretch neoprene and zippers on ankles and seals on knee, wrist and neck, whereas Henderson give you nothing but name, fewer stock size and a product that fall appart after less uses than Bare or other brand.

You wanting a good suit, Bare has the most sizes available, O'Neill have the better material and Pinnacle is stylish. Henderson is maybe comfortable because they stretch, but truth is they get thin quicker and colder faster and not the best choice.

I have a Bare 5/4 myself and it fits like a glove. I will be getting the 3/2 Bare to complete my wetsuit collection. Mike brought up a suggestion of a core warmer and I told the wife about that and she liked the idea of getting a aquaflex with a 2 or 3 mill core warmer for when she may need it. If she can get a lunch today she is going to get measured for one of the aquaflex suits at the LDS. However, she wants to lose another 10 or 15 pounds before our cruise next month and she has lost 40 since June already so Im hoping she will measure one that will be slightly a little snug on her now and hope for it to fit after she gets to her goal weight. She already had to get a new bc went from a XL to a medium. Her losing weight is getting expensive, but she is looking good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom