250% stretch neoprene question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krafcheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a new wetsuit. Does the super stretchy material keep you as warm/protected as a wetsuit that is not made of the 250% four way stretch neoprene? For example does a 5 mill stretchy suit keep you warm like a 5 mill reqular non super stretch wetsuit or is it the same and just a comfort issue?

Well, it depends. If you get a suit that is too small and you really stretch it out--then no. If you get a suit that is the correct size, the stretch will make it easy to get in and out of, but since you haven't stretched it out a lot it will keep you warm.

I have a Henderson Hyperstretch and it performs well for me. It has started looking pretty shabby after just one season and I have had to do one patch near the knee with AquaSeal. I love the ease of getting in and out of it and decided that I could deal with the poor wear and tear in order to be more comfortable.

. Does the super stretchy material keep you as warm/protected as a wetsuit that is not made of the 250% four way stretch neoprene? For example does a 5 mill stretchy suit keep you warm like a 5 mill reqular non super stretch wetsuit or is it the same and just a comfort issue?

In my opinion, no.... the regular neoprne suits seem warmer.

of coure my Henderson 5mm fits better and keeps water movement down though.

I am in the market for a new wetsuit. Does the super stretchy material keep you as warm/protected as a wetsuit that is not made of the 250% four way stretch neoprene? For example does a 5 mill stretchy suit keep you warm like a 5 mill reqular non super stretch wetsuit or is it the same and just a comfort issue?

The answer is not really a simple yes/no. The stretchier the neoprene is, the more compressible it is at depth, and, as we all know, it is the gas pockets inside the neoprene that provide the insulation. This means that a stretchy suit will loose its insulative properties faster, and to a greater extent as you descend. In this respect, super-stretchy neoprene suits will not be as warm as regular neoprene.

On the other side of the arguemnt, the suit which is least warm is the poor-fitting suit that allows lots of water to flush through the suit. Water flushing through the suit really robs you body of heat quite quickly. If you find that a 'normal' neoprene suit doesn't fit the shape of your body very well, you may find that the super-stretchy suit conforms to your shape a little better, and you get less water flushing though the suit. In this case, even though the stretch suit compresses more easilly, it will probably keep you warmer.

The only way to really know which works better for you is to try them...

Cam

I agree .... I have regular Henderson and Hyperstretch. The standard is warmer, but I love Hyperstretch !

Thanks for quick replies. The wife is looking at getting the aqualung suit due to the wider selection of sizes. She had a BARE velocity 5/4 (wide selection of sizes) but wants to try something new. She is 5'4" and not bone skinny like what some manufactures build there small wetsuits for.

Thanks for quick replies. The wife is looking at getting the aqualung suit due to the wider selection of sizes. She had a BARE velocity 5/4 (wide selection of sizes) but wants to try something new. She is 5'4" and not bone skinny like what some manufactures build there small wetsuits for.

My wife and I dive the AquaLung Aqua-Flex and love it. We dive in Monterey 7mil in temps anywhere between 47-55 degrees with no issue of getting cold. My wife is wider in the hips and it was one of the reasons she went with that suit because it was much more comfortable on her.

I have been very impressed with how warm I stay. That was a concern for me too. Jury is still out on durability, but it is holding up pretty well. I do baby it though. :D

Oh, and just to add, we do wear the AquaLung hooded vest as well. I have dove just the jumpsuit by itself in about 60 degree water and I actually was almost too warm.

Hope this helps

zen

I have a Henderson Hyperstretch Jumpsuit in 5mm that I love. I am comfortable in it down to about 48 degrees for around an hour. I eventually start getting chilly but it takes awhile. One movement I do breaks the seal and I get a cold rush of water down my back, I just don't do that move very often and stay warm.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom