25 Mantas on Kona Night Dive, May 22nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I traveled to in Kailua-Kona last week to do our AOW with Jack's Diving Locker. Our entire experience with Jack's was really good, and special thanks to our three AOW instructors, Sven, Bruce and Charlie.

We did the Manta Ray night dive on Thursday. I had done this before with 4 or 5 mantas showing, but Thursday there were 25 according to the official count. A mind-blowing, unforgettable experience.

i dont believe it... maybe it was the same 3 or 5 mantas passing thru 5 times :D

heheheheh

Believe it!
We had 13+ last June - magnificent dives.

I've posted this before but what the heck.

It seems pretty hit or miss.
We went out with Jack's Dive Locker last October, but the plankton in the water was scarce and we only saw 2 juveniles. I'd never seen a manta before, so a 5' juvenile was still pretty cool.

Jack's was very well run, but those big cattle boats aren't really my style. We will probably do it again some time and hope for more mantas.

E

Jack's was very well run, but those big cattle boats aren't really my style. We will probably do it again some time and hope for more mantas.

E

In fairness to Jack's, while we did have 12 divers on the boat for one two-tank trip there were two groups with two dive guides. I have been on boats in the Caribbean with 25-30 divers. Now that's a cattle boat. :wink:

In fairness to Jack's, while we did have 12 divers on the boat for one two-tank trip there were two groups with two dive guides. I have been on boats in the Caribbean with 25-30 divers. Now that's a cattle boat. :wink:

Good point. I've only logged 84 dives, and the biggest I've been on (not counting live-aboards) was Jack's that night. There were 18 divers in 2 groups, plus 6 snorkelers. It was a bit of a zoo, but pretty well organized all things considered. We also had heavy swells that night, and many of the snorkelers were looking green. :D

i dont believe it... maybe it was the same 3 or 5 mantas passing thru 5 times :D

heheheheh

Nope Darlin’. You’re just jealous.:D
One of those gotta be there to believe things. Something that AWESOME! is justified.
Go look at Wanna Dives (friscuba) site – he had some killer footage recently.

We went out with Jack's Dive Locker last October, but the plankton in the water was scarce and we only saw 2 juveniles. I'd never seen a manta before, so a 5' juvenile was still pretty cool.

E
Ya know the 2 best Manta dives I’ve done, both were with Jacks. 1 had 6 divers period and I was thinking the less divers the better for a while. But then the very best Manta dive had what seemed like a gazillion divers and snorklers and boats. Now I think, it’s all up to the Mantas. When you catch them right...it is just...yes...mind blowing and unforgettable.

I dove with Kona Honu who did a superb job, and they gave me a Kamaaina discount too! We saw 12 mantas including the huge Big Bertha. The company had a great manta Info and ID book and the dive staff new each manta by their belly patterns.

I haven't dove with Jack's but I know they have a great shop and friendly staff. Its good to know though that there are other superb operators. I personally have dove with Kona Honu and Divetek. 5 stars to each company!

Back
Top Bottom