24" HP Hose for Pressure Guage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
24" is spec for doubles, as the HP port is usually over on the left hand side and already pointing down. Using a single tank usually results in the HP port being centered and pointing off to the side, requiring a little bit more hose.

Get a 26" hose if you need it. Order the other hoses at the same time.

Has nothing to do with singles or doubles

mheaster:
I had previously ordered and installed most of the hose from a Halcyon (Single Tank) hose kit but I find the Pressure Guage hose just a bit too short! I am not a terribly big guy but I am 6'1" tall. Anyone else find this hose to be quite short? I normally wear a 5/7mm wetsuit and it is not really bulky at all. i have taken to clipping it off to my left shoulder D Ring when nothing else is there and I can read it at all times without unsnapping it (just look down)

I don't use a long hose at this stage (don't crucify me here) YET. Still getting hang of BP/Wing.

24" from Halycon, is the same on their singles configuration, as well as the doubles.

It runs from your HP on your 1st stage, down along your left body, and clipped off
on the bottom left D-ring. This is one way DIR has done it for years.
When you need to use it, just un-clip it, and bring it up, check your gauge, and re-clip it back off.

You will find when using stages, etc, that there will be no place to put your HP gauge except there.

This link will give you a good explaination of where and why :

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

On Halcyon 's hose kit's, everything remains the same, except the extra 2' of hose going from the 5' to 7' for over head enviorment diving. The SPG is 24", and the
Secondary hose: 22" , in both kits. The doubles kit comes with the extra pony and stage bottle spg.

I dive a 5' hose, single hose configuration for open water, and have the same hose configuration for diving doubles, but the 5' changes to 7'.

If you go under the DIR forum, I have a post right now thats very active on the 24"
SPG hose as well

FLTEKDIVER:
Has nothing to do with singles or doubles
Using a DS4 for singles makes the HP port physically farther away by about 2 inches from the left D-ring than on doubles.

off of a ATX200 (hp port pointed down and outward), the 24" is just makes it to my D ring and I'm only 5'8". I could see this being a problem with other regs with different port configurations. I just use a wireless air transmitter for single tank.... :wink:

SparticleBrane:
I am curious as to why height has anything to do with this. Wouldn't the size of the tank have everything to do wit this, since the SPG comes off the 1st stage and connects to the D-ring on your left hand side on your waist belt? Isn't the measurement from the 1st stage to that D-ring all that matters? If a 5'5" person and a 6'5" person were wearing the same equipment I don't see why height would be an issue.

It does and it doesn't. Mostly, it doesn't. Leaving aside the custom length backplate silliness most plates are a standard size. We will come back to how this affects HP hose length. First, lets deal with tank size affecting lenght of the HP hose. The top band of a single tank adapter goes just below the bend on the tank. I suppose a ridiculously large steel tank might need to be pushed up slightly but then you are probably violating the balanced rig idea so I will push aside the small number of cases where this would be an issue. So, this means, in general, that the 1st stage of your reg will be sitting the same distance from your left hip D-ring on all backplates when mounted. This makes the simple answer then that if 24" works for ayone it should work for everyone. That is most often the correct answer. There are some exceptions, discussed below. However, the problem with DIR is way too many people think they are the exception since that is easier than figuring out where they have set up their rig wrong.

The primary affect the height of a diver can have is in its affect on the upper part of the harness. Taller divers need more room in the shoulders. If this was significant enough it might require them to push their tank up more in the bands in order to facilitate reaching their valve properly. This would then affect the needed length for the HP hose. Having said that, there just aren't that many people that far out of the upper torso norm that would need this.

At the end of the day, if you really want to use a 26" HP hose you won't go to some sort of stroke purgatory. But, for most it isn't actually necessary.

As far as the length from the 1st stage to the d-ring being the same for everybody I'll have to disagree due to the following.

Due to my height/torso length the waistbelt is actually at an angle from the backplate pushing further down to my crotch. This increases the length needed on the spg.
This is very easy to demonstrate between two divers of different dimensions and I'd be more than glad to demonstrate the effect in person or be shown that I'm barking up the wrong tree in this case.

Of Course If I'm wrong I can steer away from the custom length backplates that I've been looking at lately.

When you set up your BP, regaurdless of height of a diver , or what tank your using,
You should be able to reach over and touch the top of the BP over your shoulder.
This will put the valves high enough where you can shut them off if needed, to isolate a problem.

A Properley fitting backplate, as seen here on DIR diver.com :

http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html

Will be better for trim, less sloppy, put the tank and valves at the right heights, and of course everything else then a poorley set up BP

If you notice in Figure 2, the D-ring is well withen the 24" for the SPG.

I un-clip mine now, bring it up to check , and re-clip , simple, fast , and easy, and most of all, streamlined , out of the way.

The halycon hose kit is nice, I went went the 40 wing, and set up everything to DIR, and I never been trimmed and happier with my equipment, and I've had ton's of equipment in the past :wink:

FLDVR:
Due to my height/torso length the waistbelt is actually at an angle from the backplate pushing further down to my crotch.

The waistbelt should be more or less straight across your waist and not at an angle.

FLDVR:
...Due to my height/torso length the waistbelt is actually at an angle from the backplate pushing further down to my crotch. This increases the length needed on the spg...
Not sure I get this. How tight is your crotch strap? I mean, I'd be a soprano if it was pulling that much. :O

Chris
edit: spelling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom