23 days to first Bonaire trip! Please share your best tips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love all the ideas and pictures. I am on this board and BonaireTalk way too much. Like I said, keep the ideas coming.:D

All the above are solid recommendations.
Here's a few more.

Groceries are all shipped in by boat so if you are going to buy food at the supermarkets - especially meats, fruits and veggies - then buy them when they are in stock, because the shelves could be completely bare if you come back a couple days later. (they were completely out of all meats within three days when we were there)

Beer, for the most part, comes in 8 oz bottles and cans - buy twice as many cases as you normally would!

Inspect the rental truck carefully for dings, dents, problems with the tailgate, etc... (the salt air must have corroded the tailgate cable, it snapped while I was sitting on it and wasn't even suited up)

If I remember correctly the drivers ENTERING the rotary (round abouts) have the right of way. You should double check that.

The first time we went down we packed too many "nice" clothes. The second time we mostly packed t-shirts & shorts that we didn't mind getting wet and stinky and wearing multiple days. We washed them in the sink. The wife and I managed one less suitcase the second trip.

MD..Slow down, enjoy the leisurely pace & savor it.. Also note that Bonaire is located only a few miles from the sun, so really don't let sunburn ruin your vacation. If you dine outdoors at night at some places mosquitoes like to hang out under the tables and around plants, so use a repellent on the legs and feet.
The general rule of thumb.. Take 1/2 the clothes you need & twice the money!! :wink:

Standard advice is bring money, humor and patience, spend the money, spread the humor and practice the patience.

We will be there at the same time (sixth trip), we'll see you on the underside.

If I remember correctly the drivers ENTERING the rotary (round abouts) have the right of way. You should double check that.

This is incorrect.
Folks already in the rotary have right of way on Bonaire, same as here in Boston area.

This is incorrect.
Folks already in the rotary have right of way on Bonaire, same as here in Boston area.

The complete answer is the folks ENTERING the rotary USE to have righ of way but since the new one was added (intersection near the old Lisa Gas) the rules were changed to the give the ones IN the rotary the right of way. So, if you have not been there in a while the rules have changed and a new one added.

It also depends on the ^^^^^^^^ lines on the road, if you have them give up the right of way to the lane without them!

As of last trip,
City cafe is much better than it looks. You would think pub food by the looks of it but we have always had good food there.
Pasa Bon Pizza is better than alot of places at home. Worth a night.
Eli's Deli at the North east coner of the northern traffic circle was a huge surpise and is just across the road from you! Some of the best sandwiches we have had, ever! Must go!
Sunset cafe had good food but the worst service I have ever had. Period.

Diving, we did 10 dives on the house reef (Bari). Usually timed it so the boats had just left and got it to ourselves. Lots of life.
Pink Beach to the south of the gate brought lots of life and is in good condition.
Another great dive if timed right is Windsock. Right under the airport flightpath. Its a very popular swimming and tanning beach so we would drive by and check the crowds. If its was quiet we would dive it. We saw more life here than anywere else.

The classic north and south dives mentioned in other posts are well worth it if you have not been before. We had been before so dives like Angle City were a letdown as we had seen them without storm damage. If its your first trip, check it out.

Best tip I got, buy some 2liter colas or big Gatorades. Fill em with tap water and let em sit in the truck. Makes a great post dives shower. Also, freeze some small water bottles and you will have a nice cool post dives drink.

We dive in California so we are used to booties and Bootie type fins. I would highly reccomend getting some thick sole booties as some of the entries are rockkey and urchin laden.

Have an Awsome time.

PS: Both Tim and Micheal at Fish Eye are great guys. Always helpful and no ego at all. Soak up all they offer!

Back
Top Bottom