2023 Light Travel Regulator Recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love those. I have an early one, stainless steel rigged with a Oxy 30 wing for use with my 5mm and 7mm semi-dry wetsuits. Perfect. I wish maybe someday Eric will get back to making me an aluminum one, ha! Can we ever be satisfied! The outfit in the photo is all OxyCheq, Oxy 18# wing and Oxy Travel Plate. Like I was saying, my gear is auditioning for the Red Sea and I need to travel very light since I will not have my wife with me to offload all my extra gear into her bags :wink:.

But back to the OPs question, what current regulator set has a turret with a fifth port, one of the Hog or DR sets or Deep Six? That is budget priced if the OP wanted to go that way?

Yup. My FC plate with a VDH 18# wing is The Ultimate warm water single tank rig. And the VDH 35 (IIRC) for colder water. Like you, I have both. I pack the plate in my carry-on luggage, so I don't care that it's heavier than an AL plate. Well, I actually prefer that it's heavier, so I don't use any lead when I'm diving an AL80. I have never flown anywhere where they weighed my carry-on.

As for the OP's question: One of the reasons I love the Atomic Z2 for single tank is that, though it does not have a swivel turret, it does have a bottom LP port. So, it still gives me my ideal hose routing for single tank, and it is a GREAT reg, and it is relatively inexpensive.

The Dive Rite XT1/2 or XT1/4 reg sets are also very good options. I have both. Sealed diaphragm, swivel turret, bottom LP port, and great breathers.

DR XT2 set - $459
DR XT4 set - $539
Atomic Z2 set - $569

DGX Gears Deep6 set - $299
DGX Gears XTRA set - $449 (<- which LOOKS a LOT like a ScubaPro Mk25 EVO/G260 set)

I imagine I would be perfectly happy diving any of those. They all have bottom LP ports and all but the Atomic have swivel turrets. And the Atomic can be upgraded to a swivel turret after purchase, if ever needed.

But back to the OPs question, what current regulator set has a turret with a fifth port, one of the Hog or DR sets or Deep Six? That is budget priced if the OP wanted to go that way?
You want bottom ports? May I present the Mares 72X... 2HP ports (the angled ones without the red lines) and 8LP ports!

mares-diving-regulator-1stage72x-5__69386.1585026853.jpg

Unfortunately, you can't buy just the first stage. But here's an open box set with a Loop for $249 and you could maybe get $50 back by selling the loop :)

Nooooo, I love the radial (spoke) hose routing, it is perfect for single tanks, love it! Same as the old Titan and Conshelf 14 firsts :poke::

Except I run the primary down and the secondary up since I have been brainwashed into the "Cult of the Long Hose" by several decades of Scubaboard long hose propaganda :eek:.

My wife gets mad at me because I use the living room as a staging area when preparing for a trip. I hold tryouts like a NFL team. Prepping for a Red Sea trip I am doing a trial wet run at TRL next week. Thus far I have drafted the G260/Mk17 Evo and a long shot walk on that may have become my new squeeze, the Mk 2 Evo and some G250s!

Being serious, yes the radial/spoke routing looks ugly until I put it on and then it is beautiful. I like the way the regulator hoses (22" over and 60" under and around) just flow naturally around my body and the BC hose (24") is pointed just right to go up and over my shoulder and down to the inflator connection. And the SPG goes straight down to my left side waist D-ring to clip off (26").

Add a dry suit hose and it starts to look like an octopus.

Thank you everyone for all of your amazing input. I am looking closely at the following regs. Any additional input woudl be helpful.
- SP: MK 25, MK 11, MK 19 - Trying to understanding how the MK 19 fits into these?
- Atomic: B2, Z2/Z3, or maybe even T3 - Trying to understand the differences / tradeoffs of B2 vs Z2/Z3? Realize T3 is probably an unnecessary splurge.
- AL: Like the products but not clear what the differentiators / value proposition is of the many lines: Legend vs Mikron vs Titan vs Helix. They do seem to be quite heavy.

MK11 small and relatively light. Diaphragm, not sealed.

MK19 large, heavy ish, turret, sealed diaphragm.

MK25 similar in size to MK19, turret, piston, unsealed.

Titan small and relatively light, diaphragm, unsealed.

Legend very big and very heavy, diaphragm, sealed.

Thank you everyone for all of your amazing input. I am looking closely at the following regs. Any additional input woudl be helpful.
- SP: MK 25, MK 11, MK 19 - Trying to understanding how the MK 19 fits into these?
- Atomic: B2, Z2/Z3, or maybe even T3 - Trying to understand the differences / tradeoffs of B2 vs Z2/Z3? Realize T3 is probably an unnecessary splurge.
- AL: Like the products but not clear what the differentiators / value proposition is of the many lines: Legend vs Mikron vs Titan vs Helix. They do seem to be quite heavy.

@buddhasummer covered SP.

I don't know about AL.

Atomic:

All their regs are the same design (so, they all breathe great!). The differences are in the materials used.

The Z2 is a 1st stage made of chrome-over-brass - like almost every other 1st stage on the market. The 1st stage does not have a swivel turret, but it does have a Low Pressure port on the bottom. Thus, it offers ideal hose routing for single tank use (unlike 1st stages that do not have a LP port on the bottom). The Z2 2nd stage is also the same materials virtually all other 2nd stages are made out of. The Z2 is an EXCELLENT reg and an EXCELLENT value in the market.

The Z3 is the Z2 with an Atomic ComfortSwivel on the connection between the LP hose and the 2nd stage.

The B2 is the same 1st stage as the Z2/Z3 except that it has a swivel turret. The B2 2nd stage is the same as the Z3, but with some internal parts being titanium, for slightly lighter weight and better corrosion resistance.

The T3 is a solid titanium 1st stage, making it very light and virtually corrosion-proof. It's still the same design and works the same as the Z2 and B2 1st stages. The Z series 1st stages are the only ones with a non-swivel turret. All the other Atomic 1st stages have swivel turrets. But, they ALL have a LP port on the bottom. The T3 2nd stage is the same as the B2. I.e. titanium internals.

Atomic also has the ST1, which is the same as the B2 and T3, except the 1st stage is solid stainless steel. So, it has the corrosion resistance of the T3, but not the light weight. The 2nd stage has titanium internals, like the B2 and T3.

Atomic also has the M1. This is their reg intended for technical divers. It has the same 1st stage as the B2. I.e. chrome-over-brass, with a swivel turret. The 2nd stage is the same as the Z2 - i.e. not titanium internals. The M1 2nd stage has a wider exhaust tee on the bottom, to push the exhaust bubbles further from the diver's face. It has a small heat sink where the LP hose connects to the 2nd stage, to make it a little better in cold water. And it has a different purge cover on the front, to make it a little less likely to give a freeflow when facing into a current, as well as making it able to take off (the purge cover) under water, in case you need to get trash/sand/rocks out from in between the purge cover and diaphragm (e.g. during a cave dive).

As I said at the start, all the Atomic regs are the same design. They all breathe the same. They are just different, mainly, in the materials. You choose whether you want to pay extra for lighter weight, better corrosion resistance, or both. The Z2 is their least expensive reg set and they breathe just as well as the T3. And they are the same basic weight and same corrosion resistance as other regs (like a SP Mk19/G260). The other Atomic regs are just "better", by offering "more" in the same design.

And, most of the Atomic regs come environmentally sealed. The Z2/Z3 can be purchased sealed or unsealed. And, something I think is also nice, you can buy the Z2 or Z3 unsealed and then have it sealed later if you want as well as having it upgraded to a swivel turret later (making it the same as a B2), if you want.

Personally, I would not buy the Z3. The only thing it has over the Z2 is the Atomic ComfortSwivel on the hose. But, that hose is 32" long. Too long (in my opinion) for a primary reg hose and too short for an octo hose. And the swivel is permanently attached to the hose. So, I would buy the Z2 and put my preferred length of hose on it - with an aftermarket swivel, if desired. (which is what I did, when I had a set of Z2 regs for single tank)

Oh, and if you are seriously considering an Atomic T3, then I would suggest to at least consider an Atomic TFX instead.

The TFX is brand new. It is the first time Atomic has come out with a 2nd stage regulator of a different design than all their others. It is SUPPOSED to breathe much better than all their other 2nd stages.

As it is brand new, it is currently in very short supply. I have ordered one and was told yesterday by our Huish rep that it will be about a month before they are able to ship it, because they are currently working on filling back orders.

It is all titanium, like the T3. So, light weight and corrosion-proof.

It is even more expensive than the T3. But, if you're spending what a T3 costs, what's an extra $550?

I ordered a TFX for myself. It SHOULD be lighter and breathe better than any other reg set on the market (that I know of, anyway). I expect it to be my last ever single tank regulator set. I don't expect anything else to ever come to market (in MY lifetime) that both breathes better and is lighter than a TFX.

If the TFX is as good as the marketing hype claims, it is my hope that Atomic will gradually replace all their other 2nd stages with new versions using the TFX 2nd stage design - thus, hopefully, making regs of this design much more affordable.

I expect it to be my last ever single tank regulator set. I don't expect anything else to ever come to market (in MY lifetime) that both breathes better and is lighter than a TFX.

May Allah gives you the good health and long life for many decades to come and enjoy lots of awesome diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom