2014 Venice Shark tooth diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TampaScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone been out this year yet? How are the conditions? Temps are rising in the gulf and thinking of going this weekend.

Thanks!

Check the "Dive Reports with Beach/Weather Conditions" Sticky at the top of the page. Both 2th Diver & Aristakat have made recent posts. :)

We tried a beach dive off Venice Beach, 3 or 4 weeks ago and the turbidity was so bad that we could barely see 2 to 3 feet. But that probably has little to do with current conditions.

I was out on Aristakat charters this past weekend off of Venice looking for Megladon Teeth. Water was flat 2 foot seas and a chilly 61 degrees by my computer. I did 2 1 hour dives ( diving dry) and called the last dive early as i was starting to get chilly.

Viz was about 5-7 feet.

We found 1 nice Megladon tooth and a bunch of smaller sharks teeth.

My dive mates where diving semi-dry 7mil suits and they where miserable.

If you like doing a small 6 pack bear boat charter, give captain Jamie a buzz.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Second what Tom said. Vis has been quite nice. We've been seeing temps 60-63 deg and vis 5-10' ... As far as a wet suit goes I've had folks down from Michigan in 5 mil suits and they said they were just fine... lol .. Guess it takes a while for some people to thaw out once they get down... I kinda get eeked when people ask about what suit is proper for them.... not that you did but, it's somewhat relative to the divers comfort level. "If you're cold its too late" is my philosophy. The same thing can be said about some peoples vis reports... I've dove right next to people that have said the vis was only 3-4' where I thought it was 6-8'... so anytime someone says its better than 2-3' figure it's hunt-able by most divers standards... That being said you could dive north of the pier and have 4' and go just south in the same depth and have 10'+... Sat and Sun might be ok for surface conditions but I'm gunna venture to say that neither day is gunna be worth the drive. Here's tomorrows forecast for our area up to 20nm offshore: [SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]

THURSDAY
[/SIZE]

NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS WITH HIGHER
GUSTS...THEN DIMINISHING TO AROUND 20 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON.
SEAS 6 TO 9 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS ROUGH.

[SIZE=+1] THURSDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 5 TO
10 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A
MODERATE CHOP.

I wouldn't think there will be any vis in the yard this weekend. IMO..

We had a great trips both on Sat and Tues. Viz on Tues was 20-25 fett in 27 feet of water. Temp is 60-62 depending on instrument used. Blow last night and today will effect viz, but could be quite good by the weekend. We have been diving all winter and doing very well, with some uncommon finds. With proper exposure suit hardy divers have come close to 90 min on each dive.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys, I'm not too worried about the viz. Last time I went in October or so it was about 5', but it didn't bother me, my face is pretty much 1' from the bottom the whole time anyway :p Temp is what's going to suck, but I can handle pretty cold water. I'll have a total of 7 mil on and hood/gloves. Springs are going to feel like bath water after this one. We are going to try sunday morning, so hopefully the storms will cease. It's only about an hour drive for us, so no huge disappointment if it's that bad that we can't dive. If it's too bad, I think a couple brews at sharky's will suffice :wink:

Off alhambra, about how far out do you guys usually go? I'd say we were out 50 yards and found about 50 smaller teeth on 1 hour dive.

I yak dive off Alhambra... too far to swim... however, when I was shore diving I found some nice megs. I never really had much luck straight out (from the beach path). Rather there is a patch on the other side of the blocks (North of the path... maybe 200 feet down and straight out?). Then the other area would be to head Southwest of the path (about a 10:00 heading if lining up on path/entrance). As to distance out... just play it safe. One disclaimer: Based on what I dove a few weeks ago, that entire area changed (they frequently do). Found more items in the clay area than sand (which is opposite what I saw last year). Hope this helps!

Also if anyone went out today, can you post? Debating tomorrow. Don't think it will happen, but on off chance. (I am working next weekend so I anticipate the viz will be EXCELLENT for all of you! )

Well..... We went out on sunday. It was awful lol. Viz was ZERO. Went out about 200 feet, couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Went out about 100 more feet, still couldn't see ANYTHING when my mask was about 1" from the bottom lol.

Either way we had fun, just chilled on the beach, weather was amazing and found a few teeth and barbs on the shore. I wore a 3/2 mil full length under a 3 mil shorty with 2 mil hood and 3 mil gloves and honestly wasn't cold at all in the ~60 degree water.

We will try again in a month or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom