200 vs 300 bar manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True enough, these days, although I do have an older Thermo 200 BAR manifold that's rated at the lower pressure.

I think you will find the manifold is rated to the higher pressure, but the sticker on the valve is just showing the burst disk rating. Sometimes (like OMS 4500psi valves) The stamping or engraving on the valve is less than the valve rating.

Often you have to really dig thru the factory service manual literature to find the actual valve rating.

Yoke connectors won't fit on 300 BAR manifolds. Get the 200 BAR!

and she say's " I will not be needing to attach 1st stages with yolk connections." so she can get which ever she favor's,,,,,,

don O

and she say's " I will not be needing to attach 1st stages with yolk connections." so she can get which ever she favor's,,,,,,

don O
Just because you have no need to attach 1st stages with yolk connections now is no reason to preclude the ability for the future.

My rule of thumb is to go with the "200 bar" style fitting, unless I have absolutly no choice but the 300 bar fitting. I have personally used the "200 bar" fitting on 7500psi titanium tanks.

Good thread (no pun intended). I just went through this exact exercise and after reading/asking questions I went with the 200 (actually 230) bar. Adding to this 200 vs 300 bar discussion I found the following link interesting that shows it's more to do with burst disk pressure rather than 200 or 300 bar.

XS Scuba Manifolds

300 bar but only 3000 psi

Good thread (no pun intended). I just went through this exact exercise and after reading/asking questions I went with the 200 (actually 230) bar. <snip>

Or sometimes called "232 bar".........or "240 bar"........and sometimes "250 bar"

Unfortunately in the USA if you put a 200 bar valve on a 3442 or 3500 psi cylinder and fill it to the rated pressure and put in the yoke insert so you can put on your 3000 psi rated yoke and it lets loose you are wide open to liability. What you do is your choice but our lawyers are really good at discovering things. Do you think the fill guy is going to ask you "are you using a yoke on this ?". Do you think the fill guy is going to purjer himself to save your bacon.
No disagreement on strength and thread damaging by me. It's all true. We're talking about two threads. I guess I would ask , what are you going to do with ALL the extra time you save from screwing in a 200 instead of a 300 ???? Maybe text someone something really worthwhile. Kind of a no brainer what to do.
Do what you want if the yoke lets go on the back of your head , not to worry , medical advancements are happening every day. They can fix you up.

Unfortunately in the USA if you put a 200 bar valve on a 3442 or 3500 psi cylinder and fill it to the rated pressure and put in the yoke insert so you can put on your 3000 psi rated yoke and it lets loose you are wide open to liability.......Do what you want if the yoke lets go on the back of your head , not to worry , medical advancements are happening every day. They can fix you up.

Do you have any sort of evidence that this fairly tale scenario has ever happened, or could ever happen, or are you just into gore? :wink:

Do you have any sort of evidence that this fairly tale scenario has ever happened, or could ever happen, or are you just into gore? :wink:

LOL! No kidding, Matt! I've never seen or heard of an overpressurized yoke valve taking the back of someone's head off! I have heard of over pressure fills blowing out the seals inside of regulators that weren't rated for the higher pressure use, but that happened over time, not overnight. I'm talking about using 3000psi regs and constantly getting 3600+ fills, which over time will tend to put more pressure on the seals inside the regs.

I'd like to see some proof of someone's head getting blown off because of that scenario.

OK....I searched, and I could not find any verifiable evidence. Could you point us to a verified event where this happened? I would be interested to see it as I have a HP tank and various generations of yoke regulators.

I did personally incur a couple of instances where I thought my yoke had stretched under pressure and blew an o-ring; however, after further consideration, I probably just did not have the yoke mounted properly, had the wrong duro o-ring, or did not torque the yoke screw sufficiently.

Thank you,

Couv

Back
Top Bottom