200 vs. 300 bar DINs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you UP... that the DIN/Reg interface would be the weak point. The fitting that threads into the reg is a MUCH smaller diamater than the DIN itself.

As for which I would rather have... I really don't think that either would trouble me in that situation. The reason for the extra threads on the 300 bar valve was NOT for strength, it was to keep people from using regs that were only rated for 200 bar on a 300 bar sytem. Just as in the same way they reverse the threads on the acetylene tanks so that you can't accidently put the oxygen valve (with oxygen still in the hoses) onto the acetylene tank. However, I really don't think that there are any currently produced regs that can't handle 300 bar, so the difference is really moot. However, on the mid or low pressure tanks, the ability to use either DIN or yoke is a definite plus in my book. I have several AL80s set that way. My regs are DIN, and my primary tanks are the PST hp 120s. When I am in a pool, I really only need an AL80. When I go diving, and need a tank for a buddy, they usually need a yoke! The flexibility here is a good thing for my needs.

With any orginization or group, there is a certain amount of dogma. They are those things that are believed in, in spite of the facts. Sometimes, these "traditions" need to be exposed. Other times it's just not worth the hassle. When you are a part of a group, you have to make a decision sometimes, to just accept their "traditions" as truth. Even the first century church had problems with that. (Pointed out, dear brethren as UP is a preacher). I can easily see how this could be seen as "eating the meat that was sacrificed" to many in your group.

Well Josh,
You still think we got the 300bar ones?
:)
In 8h I'm off to dive the Rockport wall and the Rothesay as well as lock 21 on sunday!
I'm sorry to hear that your girl-fiend won't let you come and play with us...

m&m

Originally posted by Josh Levinson
Unlce Pug... if you're saying you think the DIN fitting would likely break at the DIN-reg interface rather than the DIN-tank interface, wouldn't that suggest that, with respect to stability, it doesn't matter whether you have a 200 or 300 bar fitting or valve (which, as I understand, only affects the DIN-tank interface)?
Yes Josh... that is what I am getting at...
The issue really isn't strength AFAIK....
So then why is the 300 bar recommended?
All of the DIN regs have 7 threads (300 bar)
The only rationale for 200 bar (as Pete has pointed out) is to be able to use yoke fitted regulators. Or to share your tanks with those who do.

Overhead divers eschew yoke regulators for several reasons...
But that is another thread :wink:

BTW... conversions back to yoke for your regulator makes sense to me for the traveling diver who can only find yoke tanks. But it is the regulator that is converted or adapted.... not the tank.

Having yoke tanks does not make sense to me. All of my tanks.... including the argon bottle are DIN, and because my regulators are 300 bar DIN, so are all my tank valves.

As a side note:
The reason I first went with 300 bar DIN a long time ago was because I was getting tired of all my *friends* borrowing tanks from me! And then expecting me to fill them because I was a firefighter and had access to free air. I ended up taking a P/U load of AL80s to work with me each shift and spent the time between calls fillng my tanks so other folks could use them. I decided to get out of the free air business, sold off the AL80s and bought some 300 bar steel tanks :wink:

Moris, Moris, Moris... You may be doing Lock 21 again, but you missed all the excitement provided by me last weekend... so it won't be nearly as fun. As for my girlfirend... it's my sense of responsibility that's not letting me go :wink: Don't worry though, I'll be thinking of you when I'm in France, diving almost every day for a month and a half. And I'll take pictures for you too :D.

And no, I'm pretty sure we don't have the 300 bar tank valves... looks like you know who ripped us off yet again.

Have fun diving this weekend buddy. You know I wish I could be there.

Josh

Originally posted by Josh Levinson
And no, I'm pretty sure we don't have the 300 bar tank valves... looks like you know who ripped us off yet again.

Hey Josh,

really, unless the tanks are rated above 200 bar, you really have all you need. The threads that screw into an hp tank are ALWAYS the bigger thread, so they cannot accept the 3/4" SPT threads of the lower rated valves. However, the lp and mp tanks can come with either the 7/8" or the 3/4" thread... the limiting factor is the working pressure of the tank. Look on the positive side... you can use them as either DIN or yoke.

As for the "rip-off"... there is so much confusion about this and other areas that it is not uncommon for those that should know to make mistakes... big mistakes. Caveat emptor! Take the time to learn about your equipment and never ever take the word of the person selling the equipment. They have ulterior motives. They could also just be plain ignorant of reality too! I really believe that most mistakes are just that... honest mistakes. Not all of them, mind you, but there is so much mis-information out there that it just boggles the mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom