200' on air for 5 min bottom time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, and when the problem is one you HAVENT got the muscle memory to deal with? How manageable is that narc then?
What possible scenario could go that horribly wrong that all the training you have done cannot help you? If such a series of event were to occur, what did you do to deserve them? If you find yourself in that kind of situation either you screwed up or somebody on a higher level wants you gone. Plus with Helium going extinct you might have to resort back to deep air diving.

What possible scenario could go that horribly wrong that all the training you have done cannot help you? If such a series of event were to occur, what did you do to deserve them? If you find yourself in that kind of situation either you screwed up or somebody on a higher level wants you gone. Plus with Helium going extinct you might have to resort back to deep air diving.
Yeah, those are the questions you need to ask and then you need to find the answers and do the training for them..

Helium is produced from wells drilled that generally produce fossil fuels. We just can't have that now can we.

Navy tables ( USN Dive Manual rev6) calculates to 15.1min
  • 75fpm decent 2.7 min
    5 min bottom time
    30fpm ascent
    deco stop @ 20' for 1 min
    total ascent time 7.4 min (includes deco)

In my opinion the average diver would have an unacceptable risk of getting bent following this plan

In my opinion the average diver would have an unacceptable risk of getting bent following this plan

In my opinion any diver who dives beyond the depth that he was trained to, using advice from the internet, has an unacceptable risk of getting bent or worse.

In my opinion, the rec diver who pulls this on a single al80 has an unacceptable risk of getting dead. Bending is the least of his worries. Check out the A&I formum for the latest example.

Actually, if I diver did get bent following the above profile, most likely his symptoms would disappear in a few days even without treatment. While it's never a good thing to get bent or "take a hit", it rarely leads to death.

I am not opposed to using air at 200'. This is what recreational divers would define as a technical dive and before it can be accomplished, the diver must have the requisite training and experience. Any dive whether it be on Deep Air, into a Cave, Wreck, Mixed-Gas, Decompression, etc. the Diver is ill advised to undertake it until s/he is properly prepared and equipped.

What the chosen decompression profile is, is irrelevant, as it's up to the particular diver undertaking the dive to choose it. Again this is dependent upon the Dive Plan.

There are always considerations, as to the Diver's choice of breathing mixtures. Air may be chosen because another suitable gas are unavailable. Although not ideal, I've used air at this depth (and more) numerous times. That doesn't mean that I condone untrained/inexperienced diver's attempting such a dive.

Every Diver has a safe diving envelope that's dictated by their training and experience. Each Diver also has a different level of risk that's acceptable to them. Some wouldn't dive in a Cave as they deem that it's too risky. Cave Divers on the other hand, find such risk acceptable. They are trained and equipped to do the dive safely (in their view).

When using Air, every Diver diving to 50 FSW is affected by narcosis to varying degrees. If you asked an advanced diver if a dive to 100' is within the boundary of acceptable risk, likely they would say yes. It's all a matter of training and experience.

Is Air ideal at 200'? No. Can a dive to 200' be safely done with the training and experience? Yes; I haven't added it up, but I'd feel comfortable in saying that I have at least 1000 hours at this depth on Air (probably much more). I have much more on Helium. Obviously, there are better mixtures to choose from, if they are available.

I doubt that the average diver could remember, much less follow, this plan after 150'; especially if they were distracted by anything, including their own thoughts. This would make bent the least of his problems.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom