20 year old BC and armor all ? STP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was inspecting my old SP Jacket and I realized that it is in really good condition after twenty years. It is still the only BC I have been diving for the last wenty years. I assembled it from a used SP back pack from a dive shop and bought a brand new jacket/bladder from an instructor. It is a 'double black" which was the first time I believe Scuba pro introduced the fabric being vulcanized on both inside and outside.

I know for a fact that it will serve me another twenty years if I keep up maintenance on it. No holes or worn patches. Generally the vulacnized fabric still looks great. The parts that are beginning to show some age but not too much are the fabric seams that are now a dark to medium brown in color. They used to be black. Somehow it seems I have managed to keep salt damage very minimal and the only aging is due to exposure to sunlight. I have always covered my gear with a big towel when under the sun as UV is most damaging.

Is there a fabric or some kind of conditioner that I can apply that might restore the BCs original good looks? Something like armorall or STP?

I have not tried it but am very tempted. though I worry that it might actually accelerate aging.

Of course my concerns are purely cosmetic as the BC works perfectly fine.

Is there a product that might actually be more than a gimmick? has anyone tried aquaseal productsfor this? Any positive feedback?

Why risk utility for "looks"?

Ahh- chicks will dig you. Never mind, I get it now.

I was inspecting my old SP Jacket and I realized that it is in really good condition after twenty years. It is still the only BC I have been diving for the last wenty years. I assembled it from a used SP back pack from a dive shop and bought a brand new jacket/bladder from an instructor. It is a 'double black" which was the first time I believe Scuba pro introduced the fabric being vulcanized on both inside and outside.

I know for a fact that it will serve me another twenty years if I keep up maintenance on it. No holes or worn patches. Generally the vulacnized fabric still looks great. The parts that are beginning to show some age but not too much are the fabric seams that are now a dark to medium brown in color. They used to be black. Somehow it seems I have managed to keep salt damage very minimal and the only aging is due to exposure to sunlight. I have always covered my gear with a big towel when under the sun as UV is most damaging.

Is there a fabric or some kind of conditioner that I can apply that might restore the BCs original good looks? Something like armorall or STP?

I have not tried it but am very tempted. though I worry that it might actually accelerate aging.

Of course my concerns are purely cosmetic as the BC works perfectly fine.

Is there a product that might actually be more than a gimmick? has anyone tried aquaseal productsfor this? Any positive feedback?

Don't use Armor All.

McNett makes some products that may help you. I believe they make BC Life and UV Tech to help clean and maintain the life of your BCD.

jcf

Go to Autozone and get a spray can of Dupli Color black vinyl and fabric color.

Duplicolor? is that a special paint?

I have seen the McNett products and was curious if anyone has used them.

Actually. I was hoping that there is some kind of surface protectant for scuba gear. With all the rubber, silicone, etc. exposed to the sun, salt and elements that I would think some kind of surface protectant/cleaner has been marketed specifically for scuba gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom