$20 island bus tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can also get liquored-up on the east side at the two bars at Chen Rio (Chen Rio and El Pescador), Ventanas al Mar (next door to Coconuts), the bar that used to be called the "Liquor Stop" (don't know its new name now), Cala (just north of Mirador), Rancho Buena Vista, and Papitos and the other "nameless" beach bar in the Punta Sur park. That makes 15. Sixteen, if you count the beer sales at the Celarain lighthouse. There is also a private palapa bar next to Ventanas al Mar and another near Papitos that only serve tours. Andale is now San Martin.

It was still the Liquor Stop in July! They make the best Mojitos on the island!

Okay, I wasn't going to derail the thread by turning it into a bar thread, but now I have to ask judy and El Grad. We had already been planning to check out the East side on our offgassing day in the middle of our upcoming trip (this is the first trip on which we are giving ourselves the luxury of a mid-trip break), and we had been thinking bicycle. Now this bus sounds like a much better option. We don't get "liquored up," but we do love beach bars that are relatively quiet--no loud music--and have good botanas. Where do you people recommend we go? We speak sufficient Spanish to handle anything--not that we have ever needed it on Coz.

I wouldn't call it populated with bars, exactly. The coast road runs about 10 miles from Mescalito's to Rasta's, and in that stretch there are Mescalito's, Senor Iguana's, Punta Morena, Coconuts, Playa Bonita (if it hasn't fallen into the sea yet), what used to be Andele, and the two Rasta's bars. It's mostly undeveloped; the grid doesn't go over there, so the only electricity is batteries and a little solar power.

It might get "populated" if there was a cheap bus service to get you over there and back, such as this doomed venture. Virtually every person who uses this service will represent one less car rental or taxi fare. It will never withstand the taxi mafia who will see through this disguise as a "tour" and see it for the "transportation" that it really is.

The service (or "tour") that DandyDon posted IS offered by the union: The Unión de Permisionarios de Transportación Urbana (UNIPER), the same folks that provide the buses that travel circuits on a regular schedule in downtown San Miguel. This is a new service and I think a good one that will last, if enough people use it. Reservations are made with the union at reservations@unipercozumel.com or by calling (987) 115-0899, or (987) 119-3305, or just showing up at one of the stops along the route. It cost 19.99USD per person.

Beach bars without music are few. Mezcalitos is laid back and will turn down the music if asked. Same with Sr. Frogs, who will serve you on the beach in front of the bar, I believe. Coconuts is loud. Ventanas al Mar is really a hotel with a bar and no music.

If you have a car and a way to carry bikes there, I'd say take the bike to the other side, ride it on the bike path (the old highway) and then bring it back to town in the car. The transversal highway is a long, not very interesting ride, with lots of cars whizzing by.

The old coastal highway on the east side is now designated as a "bicycle only" path. The police will ticket people riding motos on it or driving cars on it. If you drive a car or a moto, you'll need to park it in one of the new parking spaces on the east shoulder of the new east coast highway and walk across the bike path to the beach. Don't leave anything in the car in plain view.

I

It was still the Liquor Stop in July! They make the best Mojitos on the island!

Best Mojito is subjective, like the best dive op on the island.

But if this is the place you are referring to then I agree.

Unedited video so sorry if I take up an extra minute or two of your internet time.

And don't forget dessert.

Looks like the place! They almost liquify the mint! I have tried many a mojito at many a bar in Cozumel. So far, this place makes my favorites!

That looks like a fine beach bar to me. Can one get to the Liquor Stop using this bus? Which stop?

It is the "Mirador" stop, #4 on the bus map that DandyDon attached. The name seems to be both the Liquor Box and the Coconut Shack, interchangeably, but it is located near Mirador rock formation and Cala beach bar.

It is the "Mirador" stop, #4 on the bus map that DandyDon attached. The name seems to be both the Liquor Box and the Coconut Shack, interchangeably, but it is located near Mirador rock formation and Cala beach bar.
The names & stop numbers on the map do not match the schedule. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom