20,000 logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still say that I have done more than 20K - In dreams...........

brucebowker:
Not trying to start a great debate here and I would suppose there might be a few who have logged that many dives but many claim they have and at first glance one might say "Wow, what a diver". But in doing some math things begin to look awry.

For sake of discussion let’s say the person is 55 years old. That would mean an average of 363.6 dives per year and that is from the day they were born. Let’s assume that this person did not dive the first 10 years, which is probably a very liberal estimate of when they did start. That would mean an average of 444.44 dives per year or about 1.2 per day. Each day after school for this person’s entire school life that had to make 1.2 dives.

Looking at a more realistic age of 15 when they started and that would be 500 dives per year or almost 1.4 dives per day and still going to school for a few more years. Miss just one day and that makes 2.8 the next day. Miss two days and one needs to do over 5 dives that day. Fly somewhere, be sick, visit DEMA for 3 or 4 days and the numbers start getting a bit out of reach.

There are people who claim they have over 10,000 dives on island X where they work full time and knowing that they have only been there 4 years, that means they are making 6.8 dives a day average and not missing one single day. Miss a day and they have to do over 13 dives the next day to make up those numbers.

There are divers who do 5 dives a day and that times 365 days is 1825 a year, if indeed they do 5 a day every single day. Even at that almost impossible rate it would take almost 11 years of not missing one single day to make 20,000 dives.

How realistic are these logged dives? Perhaps some people consider a dive of 10 minutes loggable (is that spelled correctly?)and if one stays down an hour that would be 6 dives????

I dont think its impossible.. I know a two guides in Truk that have been working for about 15 years.. they usually do 5 dives a day, 7 days a week.. even if we cut it down to 30 dives a week and 2 weeks off thats 1500 dives a year, 15 years put them over 20k...

Re: 20k logged dives, I'm not 55 (still got a couple of years to go), in 32 years I've
managed just over 4k. If I took out dives while instructing probably done 3k. Unless
your working in the industry it takes a hell of a lot of dives (and money) not inpossible
but (to me anyway) mind boggling, when would you find time for eating, drinking, sex
and all the other finer things in life not to mention the energy.

I sat down with a friend of mine who has lived and worked as a dive guide in the Cayman Islands for 20 years and estimated she has over 10,000 dives. And that is a conservative figure IMO from the way I estimated.

If they aren't logged, they don't count.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom