2 valves per tank, why?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsac, cmas, saa

To go past 20m with BSAC qualifications you have to learn how to do a deco dive., tables, planning and stuff. I don't know exactly how CMAS does it, I guess the SAA is similar to BSAC. We might call that recreational diving but there is not a directed mapping into American it seems.

Moreover, instead of just a list of acronyms, I would greatly appreciate an actual quote or reference to one of these training agencies' recreational manuals stating that the training will allow a diver to dive to depths of more than 40m (or equivalent in feet). In no way do I consider myself infallible and if an agency out there really promotes recreational diving below 40m I'd be interested to know.

BSAC- British Sub-Aqua Club. Dive leaders may dive to a maximum of 50m with a series of depth progression dives
Dive Leader - British Sub-Aqua Club

SAA- Sub Aqua Association (UK CMAS affiliate)- Dive leaders can dive to a maximum of 50m
SAA Diver Grades

CMAS- roughly translates to World Underwater Federation. To gain a 3 star diver qualification, divers must " Successfully complete the fifty (50) meter open water training dives and the openwater assessment that shall be conducted during such dives, as provided for inClause 10.2 of this Standard.
Download the 3 star diver standards from the website here:
Three Star Diver Training Programme

I will also add the deco isn't considered a massively huge deal on this side of the world either, and isn't considered "technical diving". A BSAC sports diver (qualification after ocean diver. certifies divers to 35m after depth progression dives) is qualified to undertake dives with required decompression.

And I will add IANTD to the list. Advanced Recreational Trimix qualifies divers to 48m, using trimix and up to 15 minutes of accelerated deco

BSAC- British Sub-Aqua Club. Dive leaders may dive to a maximum of 50m with a series of depth progression dives
Dive Leader - British Sub-Aqua Club

SAA- Sub Aqua Association (UK CMAS affiliate)- Dive leaders can dive to a maximum of 50m
SAA Diver Grades

CMAS- roughly translates to World Underwater Federation. To gain a 3 star diver qualification, divers must " Successfully complete the fifty (50) meter open water training dives and the openwater assessment that shall be conducted during such dives, as provided for inClause 10.2 of this Standard.
Download the 3 star diver standards from the website here:
Three Star Diver Training Programme

I will also add the deco isn't considered a massively huge deal on this side of the world either, and isn't considered "technical diving". A BSAC sports diver (qualification after ocean diver. certifies divers to 35m after depth progression dives) is qualified to undertake dives with required decompression.

And I will add IANTD to the list. Advanced Recreational Trimix qualifies divers to 48m, using trimix and up to 15 minutes of accelerated deco

Shhhh. Don't tell them that their heads will explode!

In Europe the diving was run by clubs of people who wanted to go diving. This still persists despite the best efforts of various agencies to claim that they are how the world learns to dive. The interests of these clubs is mostly served by having people go diving, whatever that takes. If lots of the interesting stuff is at 30 to 60m then that is what they do.

Deco is not technical. Deep may be recreational. That is the way it is here. Nobody (*) panics because they have 5 minutes of mandatory stops. Nobody drowns trying to do a safety stop with no gas.

Ken

* ok, we have entry level commercial training outfits which are the equal of the US ones in stupidity too. Now and again they kill people and get fined and told not to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom