2-11 pompono 2 drift dives looking for buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abucscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to find a dive buddy that would like to do two reef drift dives this sat at 1pm on the coral princess . http://www.southfloridadiving.com

Haven’t booked the trip … going to call them tomorrow to get more details on there operation.

Im a new diver and bit of an air hog . ( last 4 dives were 30 min at 60ft. – 80al) Also I would like to find someone to drift with on the current. Wiil try and keep an eye out for lobster but not planning to swim all over looking for them.

Hey, we'll be getting off the boat while you're loading...doing the AM with them. They have several boats, but keep an eye out for a very shivery-looking brunette and a guy carrying his drysuit and grinning (smugly), and come say hi. Always a great way to find out the conditions first-hand!

Tips from an ex-air-hog ...

1. relax, the less energy expended = less air
So go with the current, don't be in a rush to swim everywhere

2. check your weight
If you really think you might need that extra two pounds of lead, try carrying it in your hand for a dive and see just how much energy it takes to carry it. It makes No Difference if you have it in your hand or on your belt. If it is extra weight, it is energy wasted.

3. stay warm!
cold body = more breathing to stay warm
I wear a hood + two 3mil wetsuits (full + shorty) during the winter,
one full 3mil during summer.

4. experience
better air consumption doesnt come to everyone right off the bat.
Many of us were air hogs at first.

5. stay in-shape!
Good physical condition = good air consumption
and dare I start nagging about the evils of smoking?

2. check your weight
If you really think you might need that extra two pounds of lead, try carrying it in your hand for a dive and see just how much energy it takes to carry it. It makes No Difference if you have it in your hand or on your belt. If it is extra weight, it is energy wasted.

I Know im heavy by 5 to 6 pounds! after the second dive and while in the safety stop ... sink like a rock if i dont have air in my bc ... but on the beginning first dive im still haveing issues geting down.

1. The wet suit (new dry wetsuit float!)
2. Cant seem to get all that traped air in my bc out ( geting beter though on my last dive!)

Yes im beathing all the air out of my lungs at first (and it helps)
the first 10 feet on that first dive though uggg. by then all the air is pressed out !!!

So after the first dive if i can get down. I remove 2 pounds on the next first dive trip.

any other ideas?
[/QUOTE]
So go with the current, don't be in a rush to swim everywhere
[/QUOTE]

would love to but so far my buddys havent been ... not realy an issue though with what i learn from them i dont mind swimming to learn. :D

although on a drift i would rather not swim into the current while tring to pull a flag like last time! (what a workout!) :11:

I think i may wish to buy diffrent fins (are split fins an issue?)

Good physical condition = good air consumption
and dare I start nagging about the evils of smoking?

not over weight but my arobic sucks!
Started useing a treadmill 2-3 times a week a few months ago.
Working at it ... but im not ready for a maraton!:wink:

Thanks for the encouragement!

The forcast for tomorrow is not looking to good :11:

abuc--
I had the same problems descending when I first started....no matter what I did, just couldn't descend. Became a "face-first " diver for a while....I had to dive down head first, and kick. It comes over time; that first few seconds (especially in this cold) still gets me....you start breathing faster/harder, and bouyancy issues kick in.

I think you're already mostly there....being honest about your experience and not being a big talker, I think most are quite happy to dive with ya......as weather starts agreeing with us, definitely come join in as we start some Conch dives!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom