2:1 with F100 in subal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Bella_

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using a Nik V for years to achieve 2:1 macro shots but I'd like to 1) start using my housed F100 for macro and 2) relearn 2:1 with my housed kit and 3) move on to even smaller creatures. I have my F100 housed in a subal and am looking for advice or suggestions on whether people prefer diopters over teleconverters. I'll have a chance in a couple of weeks to try teleconverters, but until then I'll have my dive buddies diopters to borrow from his D100 kit. Since I'm digitally clueless and he's analog clueless I wondered whether the results the D100 have will be the same as what can be expected of the F100? Are the port options (these are both subal housings) the same considering the same lens just a different body?

Thanks!

You may want to send Chris Bangs a private message, I have not seen his name around here lately.

He is the super macro guru who plays around with multiple TCs and so forth.

ONe difference you will find between the F100 and D100 is the fact that the Nikon digitals have a crop factor of 1.5 (i think)

Therefore when you have a 60mm on your F100 it is a 60mm, but put it on your friend's D100 and he has a 90mm. 105mm=150mm
So the Nikon digitals have an advantage? in macro over the film.

I’m Back! Sorry folks, I have in the process of relocating back to Guam. Once again living in paradise!

Diopters reduce the lens to subject distance whereas teleconverters do not, therefore your lens choice may dictate which is the best path to take.

If you are using the 105 mm macro lens, Diopters are acceptable BUT, try to use the very high quality multi element type. Cheap single element diopters will produce poor results. If you are using the 60 mm macro lens, you will find that using a diopter will make it difficult to position your strobes,

I prefer to use Teleconverters, and like diopters I use the best ones I can get my hands on. The Kenko Pro 300 series are very good and work quite well with all my macro lenses.

I posted a thread in the tips and techniques section detailing how I shoot the high magnification stuff. I think only Mike Veitch replied.

I titled it Advanced, but a friend told me that I should have said “Super advanced”

Mike,

thanks for your comments.

Chris,
thanks for your reply! You and I have actually exchanged emails before from uw-photo where you told me about your ultra macro but I forgot about that exchange till now. I'll have to dig up the messages.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom