1st timer wants to do a liveaboard trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus213

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello divers, Marcus here from NC. My dream Scuba vacation is to do a liveaboard dive trip. I 've got my sights set on doing a liveaboard dive trip in the next few years, so i'm starting my research now. Can anyone help with some information for a newbie wanting to do his 1st Liveaboard. Not wanting to break the bank here, but looking for a good,sound user friendly, budget minded outfit to go with. NO SKECTHY OUTFITTERS. I'm just an ole country boy who doesn't like shady people w/ hassles & surprises as mental baggage!!!!! I do the deep NC wrecks @ home so i like my sharks ! Maybe the Bahamas? That's sorta close to me. Open for ideas to help me get started here. Also can you maybe give me some kind of ball park cost estimates i might need to prepare for. Thanks for reading/helpful info.

I did Blackbeards for my first liveaboard...It went out of Miami to the Bahamas. I believe they are now docked in Bahamas. Had a great time...bunks were cramped...boat was cramped but that is pretty typical of Sailboats. Priced great and the diving was great. I think there is another Sailboat called Juliets??

Juliet out of Miami is an outstanding choice. They dock relatively near the airport, they sail a part of the Bahamas that no one else goes to, and the crew is awesome.

There are two that I would recommend particularly for a first time on a LOB.

The first one would be the Aquacat based out of Nassau Bahamas. It is relatively spacious with big cabins. It is a catamaran and is wide, so it is very stable (nice when sleeping).

The second one would be the Turks & Caicos Explorer III. Within minutes of boarding, you will be made to feel like the boat is your home and the crew are your extended family. Keep in mind, that the dive sites visited by the Turk & Caicos Explorer tend to be very "sharky". You will likely see Caribbean Reef Sharks and Nurse Sharks every day, so that might factor into your choice.

Both boats have something to offer and would make ideal choices for a first LOB experience.

Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard - https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/

Sun Dancer 2 (Belize) May 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ving-belize-via-sun-dancer-2-may-2nd-9th.html This is now the Belize Aggressor IV.

Turks & Caicos Aggressor II Report Apr. 2018 - Trip Report - Turks & Caicos Aggressor II 4/21-4/28 Trip Report

Turks & Caicos Research Notes - Turks & Caicos Research Notes

By reputation, I’d try the Juliet if aiming for the Bahamas, and @Trailboss123 did an excellent trip report. I keep some old trip reports from other people on Blackbeard’s handy, so here you go. And the Bahamas Aggressor is an option; they had a Tiger Beach itinerary part of the year, last I heard.

JlcNuke’s 2017 My Blackbeard's Cruise Report - My Blackbeard's Cruise Report Includes some need-to-know discussion about bathing and bathroom concerns.

T.C.’s Report on Blackbeards May 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/484271-trip-report-blackbeard-s-cruises-24-30-may.html

Kimbalabala’s Blackbeards review 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wo...-liveaboard.html?highlight=Blackbeards+review

Craig66’s Question thread about Blackbeards - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...stion-about-dives-blackbeards-liveaboard.html

Bahamas Aggressor Tiger Beach Trip Report 8/4/18 - https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/bahamas-aggressor-tiger-beach-tri

There are many options for live aboards around the world. The crew sets the tone but the passenger mix really jazzes up the experience. Often times, boats will have passengers from different countries which can make for some nice happy hours sharing stories at the end of the day. Prices range wildly making far off destinations like the Red Sea and Maldives competitive with Caribbean destinations.

A helpful place to start is with the site www.liveaboard.com. Here you can explore a wide variety of options, budgets, and itineraries. If you want some help booking a trip, loads of companies arrange packages too.

Planning and anticipating a trip can be almost as enjoyable as going on the trip itself. Find a dream spot and get busy planning!

Just came back from a Blackbeard's trip with my kids. Wouldn't hesitate to go again, especially if travelling alone or with a group of diving friends. Best value for your dollar at USD$1050 with dives, berth, food and rum punch/beer all included.

If you are taking a romantic significant other who also dives then the Cat Ppalu is a more comfortable and private option for a couple yet still very affordable.

1. Make sure you are NOT prone to seasickness!
2. You will NOT tolerate some odd behaviours/manner etc from your fellow divers on board. But you have no choice.
3. LoB tend to be more expensive especially to remote places.
4. Make sure you carry some safety equipment just in case.

Really enjoy LoB but nothing is perfect.

The second one would be the Turks & Caicos Explorer III. Within minutes of boarding, you will be made to feel like the boat is your home and the crew are your extended family.

This was my first liveaboard! I thought it was perfect for my first liveaboard. My only caveat is that Turks and Caicos in general is very expensive so if you want to spend more time before or after the liveaboard on the island that's something to consider.

My dream Scuba vacation is to do a liveaboard dive trip.

I highly discourage doing a liveaboard. :rofl3:

Not only will you get spoiled, you'll be addicted! We started doing tor liveaboards in 2018 and have been on one per yr since. 😁

I 've got my sights set on doing a liveaboard dive trip in the next few years, so i'm starting my research now.

Why wait? Budget? Compare the cost of the liveaboard to the land based, you might be surprised its not that much more, especially for what what you're getting - valet service, fresh meals and snacks, up to 5 dives a day, room and board...

Not wanting to break the bank here, but looking for a good,sound user friendly, budget minded outfit to go with.

Also can you maybe give me some kind of ball park cost estimates i might need to prepare for.

Check the sales on Aggressor.com. we have never paid full price for a LOB. Examples for pricing per person on sale (all on aggressor). We basically choose our destination based on what's on sale and how many frequent flyer miles it takes to get there :D

2018 Red Sea: $1165
2019 Socorro: $2621
2020 Roatan: $1999
2021 Bahamas: $2320
2022 Turks and Caicos: $2696 (opted for the suite, but a delux was $2471)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom