1st time to Cozumel Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dreams in Cozumel looked very nice when we visited in October. We were staying at Secrets Aura, but we walked down to check it out and eat a few meals. We are Secrets fans, but are debating staying at Dreams on our next trip because it seems newer and cleaner. Food was good at both resorts and guests can dine at either. Only hit the buffet twice. We prefer ala carte dining and Oceana at Secrets is our go to for breakfast, lunch, and most dinners. Ate at Sunscape once and it was underwhelming.

Ran into a few satisfied divers who used the in house shop, but most of the divers I met were diving with other ops. I dove with Aldora at it was great. Picked me up at the Secrets dock every day at 8:30, did two 70 minute dives, and still got back to the resort by 1:00.

It's been my experience that staying in a local AirBnb, getting some groceries for snacks, breakfast and maybe lunch, and going out for dinner costs significantly less than going the AI route.

Maybe it depends on how much you eat. And drink. And paid for the AI room.

I really like Aldora for a dive op and will probably dive with them every time I'm on the island. Well run, good DMs and captains, and I really enjoy the steel cylinders they have for extra time in the water and the buoyancy characteristics. While Aldora does the full valet experience, in my experience they don't take it too personally if you say no to some things (e.g., take your regs back with you etc.)

Foodwise, I've not had any issues in Cozumel, eating everywhere from fancy spots, a small Arabian taco place, pizzerias, generic touristy dinners, taco trucks on the SI, or vegan restaurants. I also treat it as anywhere else in the world (and come prepared either way) and check reviews, look at the kitchen procedures etc. as best as possible.
I might try Aldora based your rec. I fishing for a dive-week in the next few months. I dove Cozumel once before on two days last April. (was near Cancun for a wedding). It was not good at all. The DM absolutely did not want to be there. He dragged us through boring sand, dragging a marker bouy the whole while. (admittedly, it was Easter Sunday...). Kind of turned me off to Cozumel. But I know there are great-to-good experiences to be had!

It was not good at all. The DM absolutely did not want to be there. He dragged us through boring sand, dragging a marker bouy the whole while.
Good lord! I got to wonder which op even bothered sending a boat out for that.
admittedly, it was Easter Sunday
Ok, I don't think that I'd try anything then in the western world.

We have been going to Cozumel, Playa, and Tulum for 20 years (anywhere from one to three times a year).

We always seek out some tiny hole-in-the-wall taqueria on the back streets. We eat salads, have ice in our drinks, and generally aren't very careful with what we eat.

We have never been sick in Mexico.

That being said, it is always wise to follow CDC immunization guidelines when travel abroad. We have been vaccinated against hepatitis A and typhoid fever, and that may also be why we've never gotten sick in any third-world country around the world.

In some cases, we have taken Pepto-Bismol daily per CDC recommendations to prevent traveler's diarrhea.

We used Dive House several times when we stayed a Fiesta Americana a couple of years ago. They were professional, as expected.

I might try Aldora based your rec. I fishing for a dive-week in the next few months. I dove Cozumel once before on two days last April. (was near Cancun for a wedding). It was not good at all. The DM absolutely did not want to be there. He dragged us through boring sand, dragging a marker bouy the whole while. (admittedly, it was Easter Sunday...). Kind of turned me off to Cozumel. But I know there are great-to-good experiences to be had!
In 29 years diving Cozumel I have never once had a DM drag a buoy around. Was this a shore dive? If all you saw was a shore dive at Cozumel, that's like going to Disney World and never leaving the parking lot.

I take pepto with, me although I’ve never had stomach problems in Cozumel. I eat restaurant dinners daily and always drink bottled water. I have had a common cold there and now always pack NyQuil .

I think that ear problems for divers are more common that stomach problems. Equalize early & often, and I use a vinegar-alcohol-glycerine mix after every dive or shower.

But I'd bet that we have overwhelmed the OP with replies by now.
1677207753428.png

I didn't read all the prior comments, but I glanced over them.

My 2 cents...

Eat at any restaurant. Look for ones that are busy. Quick turn over in the food is your friend (at home, and abroad).
I'm leery of street food... the one time I did get sick I ate churros from a street vendor. For that reason I steer clear of the street food.

If you can pry yourself away from an AI resort try to... there are lots of nice accommodations on the island (I LOVE Hotel Plaza Cozumel). You'll get a 'real' experience by walking around, outside of the AI grounds.

For a dive operator, I like 3P... but there are dozens of good ops on the island. If an operator isn't good they'll go out of business. There's just too much competition to allow a poor operator to survive long.

Oh, and some food recommendations.

-La Candela - GREAT food. Middle of the road for price. Exceptionally clean and well run.

-Las Palmas - Good food that's cheap. You'll likely be the only gringo there (maybe one other table, but that's likely it). Remember what I said about fast turn over of the food??? This place is busy, and the food isn't sitting around long before it's cooked and sold...

-El Moro - Good food... the place has been around for a LONG time (I believe). Take a taxi to it if you're staying closer to Rafael Melgar (the road that runs right along the water, western side of the island).

Lastly... enjoy your trip and please try to leave the AI (or ideally, don't stay there at all)... spend some money with the locals and walk through the downtown... you'll get to see a little sliver of Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom