Question 1st Time to Bonaire / Theft from vehicles while shore diving / Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks, not an issue.

Keys? How to keep the FOB dry so your truck starts.

Excellent product.

Here's one for less than half that

I’ve been wondering (not that I would test this first on a key fob), if you put stuff in a new Ziploc bag and evacuated as much air as you could and made sure the seal was closed, wouldn’t the contents essentially be vacuum sealed as the water pressure acted on it? Any residual air would just be compressed and there would be no force acting to burst the bag. Maybe you’d need a hard container around a key fob to prevent it from being crushed, but I don’t think it would flood.

I’ve been wondering (not that I would test this first on a key fob), if you put stuff in a new Ziploc bag and evacuated as much air as you could and made sure the seal was closed, wouldn’t the contents essentially be vacuum sealed as the water pressure acted on it? Any residual air would just be compressed and there would be no force acting to burst the bag. Maybe you’d need a hard container around a key fob to prevent it from being crushed, but I don’t think it would flood.
Probably not. Alot of pressure at depth acting on the zip area. Put a sheet of tissue in one and see how long it lasts. Seen cell phone get trashed in ziplocks before by snorkelers.

There are many (thousands?) of older small camera housings out there that could be used the same way. Max size to limit buoyancy when clipped off to you might be a consideration. Maybe an old Ikelite ultra compact housing?

You could put some $$$$ and depending on the thickness inside your vehicle keys, etc.

Just an idea.....

DH

Alot of pressure at depth acting on the zip area.
I think if the contents of the bag are low enough in volume such that the sides of the bag near the zipper are in complete contact, then there’s no pressure differential across the zipper. The main concern would be if the bag had a hole that you didn’t notice. Of course, they’re not very durable, so it would be a a waste of plastic for regular use.

Any residual air would just be compressed and there would be no force acting to burst the bag.
The pressurized air left in the bag is also trying to open the bag's seal from the inside so it can get out....the integrity of those seals is not much. There is a reason that commercial dry bags made with zip-lock seals have double or even triple seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom