Question 1st Time to Bonaire / Theft from vehicles while shore diving / Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What would you do if there was an emergency out at a dive site?
It depends upon the situation and location. If there is nearby help ask them to call for emergency services. Worst case scenario would be to use my Nautilus Lifeline or PLB that I carry with me.

Curious, what about cell phones? Or do you just leave them at hotel?
Good question, I was planning on mine for navigation and emergencies. I think I'll bring an old one. You could probably hide it somewhere but I think a good thief would be watching.

From this issue of Bonaire reporter. The Bonaire Reporter bi-weekly news in English

"
Jan. 31. Items were stolen from cars parked at several dive sites. Between 10 and 11 am, thieves smashed a car window at the Jeff Davis Memorial dive site and stole a Samsung phone, sunglasses and beachwear. Somewhat later, between 11:15 and 12 noon, thieves took reading glasses and clothing from a parked car at the Oil Slick Leap dive site. Around 12 noon, thieves stole several items, including an ID card, a Nokia phone, a wallet and clothing from a car parked at the dive site. "

Unless going somewhere way off grid (Nuekove, candyland...) their is enough traffic to find one with cell.

Thought about an old cell and velcro in a secure place at beginning of trip and just use wifes. Never felt a reason to carry one except above.
Does anyone know if a cell without SIM works for emergency calls like in the states?

We do carry this Scuba Diving Air Tire Inflator for Standard BC BCD Inflator Hose Clean Gear Tool - Accessories -
to get us back to town. Used it once.

This entire thread validates the UDT for me even more. The entire week we had phones, wallets, tons of towels, camera boxes and all sorts of back up kit/other valuables with and without us randomly as we desired and never gave it a second thought.

Cheers.

Is anyone able to confirm that UDT are still in business? They were a brand new company just before the pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom