Question 1st Time to Bonaire / Theft from vehicles while shore diving / Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest secret is not to leave anything in view in your truck. A Thief has to be pretty desperate to brake your glass, when he sees NOTHING inside. Now if he sees sunglasses, purse or other valuables, then why wouldn't he want to throw a rock and break the glass. Also hiding a key under a rock, might not always be the Best. In Aruba, a person had a jeep, went to snorkel, so he put the key in a zip lock and put under a rock. Well the thief seen him put the key under the rock. When his snorkel trip was over, his jeep was GONE!!!
The reason I can spend 9 weeks in Bonaire, is I am a Resident of Aruba and spend 6 months there. I sold my Snorkel business in Aruba, when the covid hit. So I don't have to spend 6 months in Aruba now. So I do 3 months in Aruba and 3 months in Bonaire. Its a great mix and I get my dive Fix, when I am on Bonaire.

Our first time to Bonaire too, leaving on tomorrow. This is what we have put together based on all of these great forums and Youtube. This is also the first time we will really be diving on our own, so some of this stuff is for that not necessarily Bonaire.
  • Walking sticks and bungies to strap them to our tanks
  • fin and mask keeper straps
  • PLB - ACR ResQLink View 425
  • extra LP regulator hose with adapter to inflator QD
  • Dive Alert attached to the end of new hose
  • Combination air nozzle and tire inflator attached to end of Dive Alert
  • The idea for the new hose was to also use it for DSMB inflation but that along with the string reel won't make it in time for the trip
  • PLB dry box 3"x9" from Light Monkey. Inside will go:
    • Electronic Truck Fob
    • Cheap Nokia Sim Card Phone
    • PLB
    • prescription glasses
    • first aid kit including
      • small assortment of bandaids
      • steri-strips
      • small scalpel blade
      • alcohol wipes, antibiotic gel, 2% lidocaine gel
      • small roll of gauze & small very small roll of tape
      • small titanium scissors and SS tweezers (these will actually go on the wet side)
Did we forget anything that others have found handy diving in Bonaire?

Hard soled boots...
1653263815962.png

and a boot dryer :wink: :wink: Have a great time !!!

Tanks, not an issue.

Keys? How to keep the FOB dry so your truck starts.

Excellent product.
Cheaper and rated to 300ft: an old dive light with the batteries removed, the battery space needs to be able to fit your keys/fob and mauve a credit card. Grease the O ring well. Clip the light off in a pocket.

Cheaper and rated to 300ft: an old dive light with the batteries removed, the battery space needs to be able to fit your keys/fob and mauve a credit card. Grease the O ring well. Clip the light off in a pocket.
Hey Shoredivr. For sure, that'll work. if you happen to have an old one lying around

I'm also happy to report that we just received a 100m(330ft)/1hr certification and IPx8 rating today for DRYFOB. I was getting our new PLB and Larger Key Fob versions certified as some had larger keys (Jeep, new Mazda/Volvo) and others wanted a canister for popular PLB sizes. These will be out in July if anyone is interested they can join our notification list through the website. https://dryfob.com/contact/.

(BTW not defensive ... just couldn't resist because I literally got the email from the lab this morning :)

Buddy Dive supplies a waterproof container for key fobs. Use theirs, and a flood is their problem. Use your own, and you own the flood.
Unfortunately this is no longer true. I was there in March, and the policy had changed to it is always YOUR problem. Too many people apparently were haphazard with the containers -- lost o-rings, dirt on the rings, cross-threading, you name it -- and they got tired of paying for idiots. So, take a good container, like the DRYFOB, and treat it right.

I own a storage company so I have alot of dummy cameras. I take one and put it on the dash of my pickup truck. I always say: If it helps me from 1 break in, then I think it was worth it. I lock my doors, don't leave anything in sight, and leave the camera on my dash inside the truck. Works really good for the 9 weeks I was in Bonaire this winter.
I do not understand this post. Why do people not break in to steal the camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom