1st time overhauling my MK25 - could use some help, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to sound a little cliché BUT if you are going to dive with that combo, perhaps you should take it to a professional to avoid any unnecessary UW scares?

I mean, that combo should require service every 2 years so not a huge cost to factor-in especially if you include the peace of mind...
Did you not notice that this is DIY sub forum?
It has nothing to do with cost!

Did you not notice that this is DIY sub forum?
It has nothing to do with cost!
It has to do with safety, indeed.
I would NEVER, EVER leave to another self-proclaimed "technician" to mess with an apparatus on which the life of me or my family members depends on...
On the other side, before attempting to dismount or repair such a life-supporting apparatus, one has to get proper training, knowledge and experience. And tools, of course!
As here we are in the DIY forum, it must be made clear that servicing a regulator is not a "normal" DIY activity, as this is an object which can cause high risks even for a minor malfunction or mistuning.
So only people with proper skills should make DIY service of regulators, and in case there is any doubt, I suggest to rely on the expertise of truly safe experts.
Which , in general, means NOT going to the local dive shop and its seasonal employees.

There is nothing wrong with repairing or servicing something you own. In the USA, manufacturer's can't legally void a warranty if you do so - and the FTC is actively going after companies who violate that law right now. If you've been the victim of that sort of scam, you should file a complaint so the FTC can fine the company. Usually violations also come with some additional rules such as the manufacturer might be required to send something to all customers explicitly stating that self-repair won't be an issue.

Here's a video describing how to file a complaint: File A Complaint

god, some people ITT really need to take a chill pill.

a) I mentioned in the OP that i have experience overhauling regs. And, since overhauling my MK11s several times now, I've had ZERO incidences in over 300 dives with those. Not a one!
b) I was being honest with my lack of experience with the MK25, hence why I came here to the *DIY* thread to check in on some things. I studied several videos, consulted with a technician friend I trust, and looked over schematics before jumping in. I didn't realize that the DIY thread requires one to lay out their 'bona fides' to offset the righteous members. :rollseyes

Yes, my nomenclature is a bit imperfect, but there's a difference between not using the proper name of a shim vs not knowing where it goes. My ****up was not putting the same two back in that were there from the factory. But, even with just the one shim....IP is sticking FIRM at 128. I'm good with that. And, my MK11s don't use shims, so yes it was a new concept to me. Lesson learned, lol.

As for the mouthpiece...any hole can develop over time due to age. Mine had over 200 dives on it and it was more like a pinhole, but when stretched to really see it, it looked 'huge.' Replaced, problem solved. And, oh no, so i sucked in some water on a dive. Instead of jumping to dickish judgments, know this....it was a planned easy shore dive to double-check the reg, I dive with an octo and easily placed that right in my mouth and continued the dive. No death, no drama.....no big deal!

I've got >5000 dives logged in all types of situations. This wasn't the first time having an issue with a reg on a dive. And, you know what, just about every other time I've had a reg issue, it was the first dive back from being serviced by the LDS. I got tired of that so am servicing my own two types of regs now.

So to those of you who were helpful to me ITT...thank you. To those who feel righteous...I know a couple of good reddit topics for you to really get your rocks off. Just PM me.

god, some people ITT really need to take a chill pill.

a) I mentioned in the OP that i have experience overhauling regs. And, since overhauling my MK11s several times now, I've had ZERO incidences in over 300 dives with those. Not a one!
b) I was being honest with my lack of experience with the MK25, hence why I came here to the *DIY* thread to check in on some things. I studied several videos, consulted with a technician friend I trust, and looked over schematics before jumping in. I didn't realize that the DIY thread requires one to lay out their 'bona fides' to offset the righteous members. :rollseyes

Yes, my nomenclature is a bit imperfect, but there's a difference between not using the proper name of a shim vs not knowing where it goes. My ****up was not putting the same two back in that were there from the factory. But, even with just the one shim....IP is sticking FIRM at 128. I'm good with that. And, my MK11s don't use shims, so yes it was a new concept to me. Lesson learned, lol.

As for the mouthpiece...any hole can develop over time due to age. Mine had over 200 dives on it and it was more like a pinhole, but when stretched to really see it, it looked 'huge.' Replaced, problem solved. And, oh no, so i sucked in some water on a dive. Instead of jumping to dickish judgments, know this....it was a planned easy shore dive to double-check the reg, I dive with an octo and easily placed that right in my mouth and continued the dive. No death, no drama.....no big deal!

I've got >5000 dives logged in all types of situations. This wasn't the first time having an issue with a reg on a dive. And, you know what, just about every other time I've had a reg issue, it was the first dive back from being serviced by the LDS. I got tired of that so am servicing my own two types of regs now.

So to those of you who were helpful to me ITT...thank you. To those who feel righteous...I know a couple of good reddit topics for you to really get your rocks off. Just PM me.
You have to understand that nobody on this forum knows you, or your experience, only the words that you type in your posts. If you use the wrong name for a part, nobody can read your mind and surmise that you were actually referring to a different part. (Well, someone did and told me) And regarding the mouthpiece, I definitely stand by my comment that if you service a regulator and do not check the mouthpiece for damage, you're not doing a thorough job. It's not my fault or anyone else's that you take offense at a comment like that. Nobody intends to hurt your feelings, we're just reacting to the words that you post, that's all we have to go on, and offering our experience on the specific topic of the thread.

The only thing simpler than a mk11 is a mk2, the mk25 is real simple except for the adjustable seat and it’s fine tuning being backwards in the IP tune from the mk11 where in increases IP on a diaphragm and can be adjusted charged, the 25 going in will decrease IP and it doesn’t respond while pressurized, for the 25 you get close with the shims on the spring and fine tune with the external adjustment.

Dived it this weekend and it worked great...except for a big hole that suddenly appeared in my mouthpiece causing me to suck in a bunch of water, lol. Thanks for all the help.

But, I do have one final question...what do the plastic bushings in the piston assembly do? As I said earlier, there were TWO in there from the factory. I only replaced one. And I notice that I have to crank down the IP screw all the way to get me to 130psi. If I add the other bushing, will that help me tune the IP down closer to 125 (should I ever want to)?
I've seen countless mouthpieces with small nicks soon to be tears where someone has remove zip Ty with pliers without due care.

It has to do with safety, indeed.
I would NEVER, EVER leave to another self-proclaimed "technician" to mess with an apparatus on which the life of me or my family members depends on...
On the other side, before attempting to dismount or repair such a life-supporting apparatus, one has to get proper training, knowledge and experience. And tools, of course!
As here we are in the DIY forum, it must be made clear that servicing a regulator is not a "normal" DIY activity, as this is an object which can cause high risks even for a minor malfunction or mistuning.
So only people with proper skills should make DIY service of regulators, and in case there is any doubt, I suggest to rely on the expertise of truly safe experts.
Which , in general, means NOT going to the local dive shop and its seasonal employees.
But one can only gain the skills by experience. This forum is a good place to begin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom