1st time on Poling - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never dive without a light--day or night. I throw a small back-up size/style Princeton Tech into my BC pocket on every dive and I think I use it more often than not. You don't know what lurking in that dark space until you light it up.

vetdiver:
Hi, all-

The hubby and I are diving the Poling with CAD this weekend - it will be our first non-shore dive since we moved here, and we are beyond excited! Question - I read on an older post that it can be a bit dark - do you guys typically take a light for this dive? Advice or special features to look out for? Thanks.

First, enjoy the dive. The Poling/Nina T used to be one of my favorite recreational dives until the Nina T broke up. I still enjoy the Poling. It's a nice, non-stressful dive with a short boat ride and some interesting features. It's shallow enough to enjoy nice bottom times without going into deco, especially if you're breathing Nitrox.

Up here, I wear a can light on every dive and I use it. Conditions on the wreck can range from spectacular (enough vis to see across the beam) to terrible (touch contact protocols would have been justified since the lights wouldn't penetrate more than 4 feet). I highly recommend wearing one.

Good G*d almighty - leave for the night and come back to find all kinds of replies - thanks!! I do carry a small light in a my bc, but I am taking the HID for this dive after reading the posts here.

So, I think that rule #1 for Saturday is that Sog needs to dive as far away from me as possible - don't really care of there is crap vis (as long as I am under the water, I'm a happy girl), but I do like to come up to a sunny sky when I'm done.

I know that CAD doesn't pump Nitrox - does anyone near Cape Ann? We may try to stick around 80-85 ft to prolong bottom time.

Hope you all have good dives this weekend - enjoy, and thanks again!

vetdiver:
Good G*d almighty - leave for the night and come back to find all kinds of replies - thanks!! I do carry a small light in a my bc, but I am taking the HID for this dive after reading the posts here.

So, I think that rule #1 for Saturday is that Sog needs to dive as far away from me as possible - don't really care of there is crap vis (as long as I am under the water, I'm a happy girl), but I do like to come up to a sunny sky when I'm done.

I know that CAD doesn't pump Nitrox - does anyone near Cape Ann? We may try to stick around 80-85 ft to prolong bottom time.

Hope you all have good dives this weekend - enjoy, and thanks again!
Closest nitrox fill stations would be United in Somerville (partial pressure), Northest Scuba in Chelmsford (I don't recall their method) and Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry, NH (banked).

mer:
Closest nitrox fill stations would be United in Somerville (partial pressure), Northest Scuba in Chelmsford (I don't recall their method) and Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry, NH (banked).

Marine forecast is not looking so good for this weekend last time I checked (this morning) :(

--Matt

Soggy:
Yeah, my 853 charter looks like it probably isn't going out....again. And me with 260 cft of 28%. :(

Don't talk like that. I've only been out on the sub twice this year. I'm going out if I have to wear my gear onto the boat and lash myself to the cabin before we leave the dock. :eyebrow:

On the brighter side (for you), one of the nicer things about the Poling is that the ride out is short and relatively sheltered. With some luck, you won't get kicked around too much. In addition, CAD's ladder is nice, which makes exits easier.

Northeastwrecks:
Don't talk like that. I've only been out on the sub twice this year. I'm going out if I have to wear my gear onto the boat and lash myself to the cabin before we leave the dock. :eyebrow:
QUOTE]

Now this is the kind of dive buddy I am looking for! Ha ha ha!

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom