1st time on Poling - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver:
One piece of advice -- note carefully the location of the mooring line when you get down on the wreck. There are usually moorings on both ends of the wreck. I've seen people come up the wrong line more than once...not a big deal on a calm day.....

I don't believe both moorings are on right now...every time I've been on her this year, the only mooring has been at the VERY stern of the wreck...like an inch or two from the aft-most point.

However, there are many ghost moorings, so what Chris says is very important.

large_diver:
I've found this web page useful -- it has a picture of the Poling (pre-sinking), as well as a basic schematic of what you will encounter on the bottom (click on the drawing at the bottom of the page).

http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/7205/dive_poling.html

One piece of advice -- note carefully the location of the mooring line when you get down on the wreck. There are usually moorings on both ends of the wreck. I've seen people come up the wrong line more than once...not a big deal on a calm day.....

I'll echo the "stay on the deck" advice, especially if vis is poor. You will have more than enough time within NDLs to circle the wreck, with time to pasue and look around.

Enjoy and dive safe.

-Chris

The link above did not work for me. Here is another website I use quite often: http://www.wreckhunter.net/. Scroll down the left side to Wreck Lists/Massachusetts/Chester Poling Stern.

When I dive this site at night I place a strobe on the mooring line we descend for extra safety. There are some ghost lines as Soggy pointed out. There are only two that are thick chain on the very ends of the wreck. Make sure you ascend on a chain. If you do go up the wrong line you are not far away from the boat anyway. With good vis it will not be a problem as the different sides are very distinct. The last time I was there (3 weeks ago) there was a large net/line mess on the right side (as though you were swimming toward the Gloucester break water). Just keep your eyes pointed to where you are kicking :)

--Matt

I was on it a month ago and there were definitely two moorings because there were two boats tied up to it. Several weeks ago, however, there was just us and I don't remember seeing a second mooring. It really does vary during the year.

The Chester Poling is one of my all-time favorite dive sites. I've brought hardened New York wreck divers up here who are used to some pretty challenging wrecks down in Long Island Sound and New Jersey, and they absolutely loved it. It's in excellent condition, sits upright, and they don't get much easier to navigate, I'll tell you that!

My first dive on the Poling was in February of 2002, and the only way I knew I had made it to the wreck was when I hit it...vis was absolutely abysmal - maybe 3 or 4 feet tops and incredibly dark. I would have been almost completely lost had it not been for a dive light.

Not 2 full months later, in April of that year, I was on that wreck for some of the best visibility conditions I've ever seen in Cape Ann: at least 60-70'. We did our safety stops at 15' in full view of the deck. You could back away from the Poling far enough to see the wreck's entire sillhouette. Unbelievable. On this dive, I didn't need the light at all, even to look inside the wreck's portholes.

On average, I have found the Poling to host 15-20' of vis during the year. There's no reason you should feel encumbered by taking a good dive light, so I say go for it. I think we'd all agree that on some level, you'll find use for it. In most situations on that wreck, however, your eyes will adjust within minutes and there should be no need for a light for navigational purposes.

I've dove the Poling probably 2 dozen times and each time it gets easier and easier, but I never dive it without a modicum of respect. A dive shop that I teach extensively for has a policy - instituted by the owner - of not allowing AOW students on the wreck. Beyond the depth and current you can find on there, I think the biggest thing to keep vigiliant of is trawler nets and fishing line that get hung up on the wreck with varying degrees of bulk.

My personal feeling is that if you treat the Chester Poling with the same respect you would any other advanced New England dive, you'll have a blast. When it was intact and in good shape, I think the Poling/Nina T charter was one of the best days of diving you could have up here.

Have fun, and keep an eye out for the lumpfish who lives on the deck!

I was diving with CAD about 6 weeks ago when they reset the second mooring.

I have dove the polling many times and have never needed a light. I always bring a light and use it to look inside, but I have never seen it so dark that I would need a light to dive the outside.

That said, I'd follow Green_Manelishi's sugestions, bring a light and stay on the wreck.

TT :wink:

TwoTanks:
I have dove the polling many times and have never needed a light. I always bring a light and use it to look inside, but I have never seen it so dark that I would need a light to dive the outside.

I've done two night dives on the Poling that were on sunny mornings. :)

You never know what you'll see....plus a light is an invaluable communications tool with your buddy. I use my light on shore dives. Besides, the Poling is covered with beautifully colored anenomes that just look brown without a light.

Soggy:
I've done two night dives on the Poling that were on sunny mornings. :)
Yeah, but Sog has the curse of the bad weather.

FYI the weather will be crap on Sat cause he has a dive planned.

mer:
Yeah, but Sog has the curse of the bad weather.

FYI the weather will be crap on Sat cause he has a dive planned.

Nah, the weather is usually ok, just the seas tend to be mediocre. That combined with a captain who doesn't like going out too far in his small boat makes for a cancelled dive. The seas are looking 2-3 or bigger now. So, in all likelyhood, I'll be 0 for 5 on the U-853. :(

Dude... I'm going to kayak out to Thacher Island on saturday. I guess if you'll be in RI I might be safe though. :)

Soggy:
Did you finally get a scuyak!?

No... but Jill's just finishing up her OW, and mentioned thinking it would be a good idea. This weekend it's just a free kayak trip paid for by my employer. I'll probably hit Pebble or OGB on the way back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom